PDA

View Full Version : Patreon vs. Flattr vs. PayPal Donate?

Salvador Briggman
07-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Would like to get a discussion going on some of the alternatives to Patreon and whether or not they are worth implementing.

Flattr: https://flattr.com/

"Support all the creators you want without thinking about the cost. The monthly budget you choose is divided by the number of flattrs you make."

PayPal Recurring Donate Button: https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/get-started/create-recurring-donation-button

"The instructions below will show you how to create a recurring donation button by creating a Subscription button, then changing some of the HTML (the code generated when you create a button) to make it appear as a Donate button."

Personally, I like the UI/Updates feature that Patreon has over these alternatives.

I do think that in the long run, creating your own products, advertisements, and affiliate marketing are more ideal than a donation model, but I also know that many types of content don't cater towards this.

Rebecca Sutton
07-14-2014, 08:32 PM
You asked about flattr and paypal in my thread but I thought I'd answer here as it's relevant.

I like flattr in principle and it has brought me a little money but I am deeply unhappy with certain changes they have made recently so I'm going to take the flattr button down from my site. I hope someone else will take up the demon love child of digg and paypal model that I like about flattr.

The Paypal donation button is good for one off donations but not so great for ongoing donations. The fact that the box you tick to make it monthly doesn't always work for people makes it worse. It is however worth having for the people who do just want to make a one off donation rather than a subscription.

In the long run I feel that different fans will want to support me in different ways and I don't want to put obstacles in their path so I like having multiple options for them.

On the other hand I'm not hyper fond of paypal but they are rather the 800lb gorilla - especially if you're not American. I would really like to see other options there as well.

Having said that while I have had some flattrs and donations Patreon already seems to be far more lucrative than either.

Hope this is informative,
Becka

Salvador Briggman
07-15-2014, 12:19 PM
@becka - Good thoughts! Thanks for sharing.

TutorialCup
11-13-2014, 04:08 AM
Why kick starter dont accept paypal donations?

Amy Thompson
01-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Paypal can randomly freeze your account. I wouldn't suggest using them.

WMC
01-03-2015, 08:59 PM
I have set up a number of campaigns on Patreon for artist friends. It works, but not all that well...

solarstormstudio
05-01-2015, 06:21 PM
Due to allot of social media marketing - I think Patreon has pretty much overshadowed Flatter and PayPal when it comes to donations - and the acquisition of Subbable only proves to emphasize that point.