PDA

View Full Version : Story Talk - Something New to Listen to

Story Talk
05-03-2016, 03:56 PM
To whomever is listening,

I have recently released my Story Talk project on kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1562153340/story-talk). Story Talk is new website/app platform where users will be listen to professionally produced stories and talk shows for their enjoyment. If you want to help me bring Story Talk to life, then your donation will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Liam Redding
StoryTalkLLC@gmail.com

hyperstarter
05-03-2016, 10:35 PM
Hi Liam, I want to give some advice on your campaign as I feel you've missed the mark with it slightly (0 out of a 100k goal).

Let's start with what you're making, a platform/app. There's loads of these available already, free to use and v popular (iTunes being the biggest). So you're competing against them. What makes yours so different - I didn't see how you're going to help them.

Scrolling down the page, there's nothing on who's going to make, how it's going to be coded (which is the major point) and how you're going to get popular.

For me, this is the sort of thing I could do at home where I make a story, upload it to say youtube and wait for the traffic.

The tiers are way off too. Offering a band or tshirt, should actually be free as it's promo material for you. Whilst charging for something that will essentially be free - doesn't make sense either.

I'm sorry but I don't think you thought it out. I think you should go ahead with it, perhaps hire a freelancer using your own funds and pay for it with ads, but you need to stand out in this huge market.

Best of luck!

Story Talk
05-04-2016, 12:02 AM
Dear Hypestarter,

I haven't heard of any projects raising 100k in a single day, that would be a little outrageous wouldnt it? You know what they say.. Rome wasn't built in a day. Now, I understand that Story Talk is no comparison to Rome, but it was the best analogy I have.

As for your argument about the platform/app, you are incorrect... While Itunes is a very dominating force in the music industry, it has little to do with the podcast/audiobook/talkshow world. Now don't get me wrong, they do mingle with it, but they are in no sense leading the $2 billion market. In fact, Audible.com is leading the pack. But, as I have explained in my kickstarter, my company is not the same as audible... We bring a completely new and innovative platform to the table.

Secondly, I stated in my kick starter project that I am at the beginning of constructing my company. I have all the ideas down, but I haven't began creating any the actual product or company yet. It's hard to know who is going to make the product when I don't have any money for it (and isn't that the basic premise behind kickstarter?) Nor do I have any background training on programming, so in order for me to figure out how it is going to be coded (if you could please explain how this is a major point at all, that would be awesome) I need to hire a programmer.

If my rewards don't meet your requirements, then what would you suggest I offer? Also, I have a question about your problem with me giving away company t-shirts and bracelets... What else would I give other than something that has the company name and logo on it? I have searched through countless successful kick-starter campaigns and they have done this same exact thing. Did you even read all of the rewards? Because as the donation became higher, the rewards got better. Only the people who donate small amounts get the promo material. If I was an excited sponsor who decided to donate money towards a project, then I would want some company gear in return for 100% fact.

Lastly, I wish I had that luxury, but sadly that isn't going to happen any time soon. I may need to resort to that if my campaign isnt successfully funded, but I'm going to keep trying.

Thank you,
Liam Redding
StoryTalkLLC@gmail.com

hyperstarter
05-04-2016, 02:34 AM
OK thanks for the explaination. I think you need to make it clear on your page about what exactly makes you different, if it was on your video - then needs to on your page too...potential backers will not waste time watching a whole video, the page needs to be made clear.

I do know about Kickstarter and programming so I'm probably best place to advise. My actual tip would be that you learn to code and create a basic template yourself, then people can connect with it, visualise and use it. Selling an idea is great, but it's only an idea. I know projects that have been based around ideas, but on the page we found out more about why that person was qualified for the job, their exact thinking and strategy and so on.

Regarding the requirements, I'd be blunt and not offer any as I don't think this is KS material (apologies). I did see your rewards. If I was a sponsor, I'd want to know the metrics and value of my sponsorship - I wouldn't call it a donation.

Best of luck, sorry if I'm to-the-point but in times like this it's best to have direct advice. 60%+ of all Kickstarter's don't make it :(

Story Talk
05-04-2016, 10:30 AM
It's totally fine, I'm the same way so there's no hard feelings :). Thank you for your time and advise! I'm guessing I wont get funded this go-around but I'm going to keep bettering my pitch until it reaches my goal!

DiniCFP
05-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Great concept! I think you should have a video that shows the people behind this idea, and giving some background to how this all started. People need to connect emotionally for you to get funded! Hope that helps!

Story Talk
05-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Yeah, my video was definitely my weakest point. I will improve on that in the future! Thanks for the advise :)

DiniCFP
05-04-2016, 01:01 PM
From Southeast Asia to your home, Bodhi Tree Collections brings unique, eco-friendly, home decorative accents brought to your tabletop through sustainable means.

Please checkout the Bodhi Tree Indiegogo Campaign here:
https://igg.me/at/BodhiTree

Thank you!

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/l/t1.0-9/1979514_1056997147695048_4158688590902010861_n.jpg ?oh=b4f26fb55f318001dac7c5d09f0da0d4&oe=57B5647B