PDA

View Full Version : Indiegogo VS. Kickstarter

Doozy Inc
06-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Hi People,

I am here to give my opinion on both crowdfunding platforms. This is strictly based off my experience with both sites. I am currently launching a product called the USBand. I have failed miserably on Indiegogo as half my pledges were actually my own money to keep the hype going. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/usband-new-fashionable-usb-flash-drive-bracelet/x/3077923 I have to hand it down to indiegogo that their customer service is superior. However I felt like they would put any project online since they do not really filter your post. As I am one of very few who posted a fix funding campaign (because I don't believe in taking people's money without a product) I did not collect a dime.

Now I am currently with kickstarter with a launched project (same one, different video) I would have to say, in 7 days of launching.... I have exceeded more views on my page and more pledges as well. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doozyinc/the-usband-by-doozy-inc Now, with kickstarter, the approval process is a little bit difficult. However, I believe it is a more viral platform and as I was looking at how many hits I got today..... I can say it surpassed indiegogo's 45 campaign in 7 days.

Just my opinion between the two platforms.

-Carl Leung
Founder of Doozy Inc.

Scorp Lake
06-21-2013, 04:07 AM
Thanks, I think you gave a pretty good overview.

Salvador Briggman
06-27-2013, 06:21 PM
From my observation, there seems to be more of a community centered around Kickstarter and I like that it is semi-curated.

Sal

Scorp Lake
06-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Kickstarters premium filter and Indiegogo's total free market chaos are both fine.

deniseora
07-02-2013, 07:40 AM
I agree. Kickstarter is certainly my preference. We have 9 days to go. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nulifestyle/nu-lifestyle-card-holder-wallet-take-what-you-need
Let me know what you think.

enviroCar
07-05-2013, 10:23 AM
The only problem for people like us from europe is, we can't use kickstarter. But very good summary!

alrioart
08-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the tip. I have been considering both.

jaice
08-12-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm part of a young startup; OMG!(Organic Meets Good (http://www.organicmeetsgood.com)) and we are using indiegogo. But I do feel indiegogo is more artsy then Kickstarter.

Doozy Inc
08-13-2013, 04:20 PM
jaice: That is a pretty neat product! Organic is growing everywhere even internationally! Good luck with it!

Raist
08-13-2013, 05:24 PM
I like Kickstarter. My project seems to be going well there. I do wish they had a way to track traffic to your project from people who do not donate. Is there a way do this outside of the Kickstarter site? Not very web savvy myself.

Feazellm
08-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Kickstarter could not match my hardware and browser requirements. I tried to use Kickstarter til I hit a snag in uploading images and creating the project, so I used Indiegogo.

AJ-Skydrone
08-20-2013, 05:20 AM
Kickstarter definitely has the reputation, but as mentioned by enviroCar, if you aren't located in either the USA or UK it's pretty useless. Indiegogo works well for us.

MikeA
08-20-2013, 09:45 AM
I like Kickstarter. My project seems to be going well there. I do wish they had a way to track traffic to your project from people who do not donate. Is there a way do this outside of the Kickstarter site? Not very web savvy myself.

You can use bitly.com or the google url shortener. They both track stats and keep analytics on where your visitors are coming from and a few other details.

smitasharma54
08-24-2013, 04:07 AM
If you're starting a business, building an app, funding a charity project, making herbal soaps, or equipping your 5,000-person-capacity orgy dome for Burning Man, then Indiegogo is your only option

Jamesfredette
08-24-2013, 07:05 AM
thats superb answer given by you hats off for this dear. no need for further improvizations on it

EaglEye
08-24-2013, 07:13 AM
As I am about to launch my IndieGoGo campaign. I am pretty sad I couldn't go to Kickstarter due to me living in Belgium. IndieGoGo sure is great to get something funded and it is quite easy navigatable, more so then Kickstarter. But when I look at the game section, where my project will wind up, you see a big amount of lame requests, like there are about 10 requests that I found from people who just want to get money so they can buy a gaming pc...

Jason Cantrell
08-24-2013, 01:16 PM
As I am about to launch my IndieGoGo campaign. I am pretty sad I couldn't go to Kickstarter due to me living in Belgium. IndieGoGo sure is great to get something funded and it is quite easy navigatable, more so then Kickstarter. But when I look at the game section, where my project will wind up, you see a big amount of lame requests, like there are about 10 requests that I found from people who just want to get money so they can buy a gaming pc...

That seems like a pointless way to run a fundraiser. I'd never donate to someone so they can play games. I don't have any experience with Indiegogo, but I don't really like the idea that they allow such projects. While Kickstarter has more restrictions, it does seem like those restrictions are a good way to ensure only serious projects get posted.

"Serious projects" can be large or small (my own is quite small compared to most), but I'd personally far rather see projects that I think someone is passionate about and has put a lot of time into. I've been working on my novel for almost a year. I like seeing stories of people who have similarly put a lot of time into their projects. It shows dedication.

EaglEye
08-25-2013, 02:22 AM
That seems like a pointless way to run a fundraiser. I'd never donate to someone so they can play games. I don't have any experience with Indiegogo, but I don't really like the idea that they allow such projects. While Kickstarter has more restrictions, it does seem like those restrictions are a good way to ensure only serious projects get posted.

"Serious projects" can be large or small (my own is quite small compared to most), but I'd personally far rather see projects that I think someone is passionate about and has put a lot of time into. I've been working on my novel for almost a year. I like seeing stories of people who have similarly put a lot of time into their projects. It shows dedication.

Showing one as an example.
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-get-me-a-ultimate-gaming-pc/x/4286026

They should atleast put some staff on it to check the campaigns out. Even if they are quite easy on it. This shouldn't be possible

Garciajhon
08-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Kickstarter. is the choice

Jamesfredette
08-30-2013, 02:23 AM
Its a decent overview i am impressed with it and liked it very much thanks for sharing this with us here

iOooProducts
08-30-2013, 09:01 AM
We decided to go with Kickstarter for our project. For us, we thought that Kickstarter would generate the highest quality "natural" traffic to our campaign. Additionally, since our product is for the iMac (another Apple product), we felt comfortable with Kickstarter since we've seen so many Apple-related products find success. We've just launched, so still waiting for proof this is right.

dianne
08-31-2013, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the info. I was just looking for info on these two.

Doozy Inc
08-31-2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I was just looking for info on these two.

Hi Diane,

Good luck with your project!

-Carl

Doozy Inc
08-31-2013, 12:55 PM
We decided to go with Kickstarter for our project. For us, we thought that Kickstarter would generate the highest quality "natural" traffic to our campaign. Additionally, since our product is for the iMac (another Apple product), we felt comfortable with Kickstarter since we've seen so many Apple-related products find success. We've just launched, so still waiting for proof this is right.

Hi iOoooProducts,

Please let me know how your submission goes! I have a project that I have submitted 3 weeks ago with no approval or any word. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doozyinc/532024695?token=14e79500

-Carl

James Mathe
09-04-2013, 03:08 PM
I had the similar experience with 10 times the funding I got from Indie Go Go.

http://www.jamesmathe.com/indie-no-go/

Fundordie
09-09-2013, 06:43 PM
An interesting stat that I just read was that only 20% of Indiegogo Campaigns are fully funded, while 42% of Kickstarter projects get fully funded. Also the average Kickstarter project brings in about $5100 while the average Indiegogo project brings in about $3600. Kickstarter certainly has a larger audience, however both platforms seem to be good for different types of projects in their own respect.

Doozy Inc
09-10-2013, 12:42 PM
An interesting stat that I just read was that only 20% of Indiegogo Campaigns are fully funded, while 42% of Kickstarter projects get fully funded. Also the average Kickstarter project brings in about $5100 while the average Indiegogo project brings in about $3600. Kickstarter certainly has a larger audience, however both platforms seem to be good for different types of projects in their own respect.

I see that Kickstarter probably have a wider database. However, the Kickstarter crowd seems more interested and the Indiegogo platform requires you yourself to do more personal marketing.

cmlandrus
09-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Great observations! I'm going to be using Indiegogo for my project, and I've experienced great customer service with them! Both platforms are still so young it'll be interesting to see how they evolve. I know Indiegogo is now partnering with a company called Rhovit to help promote campaigns. There are lots of development happening.

smitasharma54
09-25-2013, 06:22 AM
“All or Nothing” takes away the fear of giving money to a project that will be a dud, because it guarantees social proof. Social proof is people's tendancy to trust something more because other people do, too.

Don Walker
09-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Last year, kickstarter raised more money than the Endowment for the Arts here in the US. I believe it has the most active 'base' of users. I've use both sites and failed on both. But the backers of my last failed campaign on Kickstarter actively kept in touch with me (on their own) and encouraged me to relaunch. They gave me tips and suggestions to help the next (current) campaign succeed. I heard nothing from anyone on IndiGoGo. My current campaign on kickstarter, http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1654672054/agent-wild-0, is 88% funded after five days. Half my backers are from the original campaign. The sense of community is there and I prefer that.

yveakp
09-27-2013, 05:28 PM
I've tried to use Kickstarter, but it just isn't available for Africa area. So now i've lunched my campaign on Indiegogo. I'm trying now to get it funded!

shabazzr
09-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Great overview Carl! If you guys like Action, Sci-fi, Drama , Horror. Check out the Multi-Ethnic, Multi-Genre Feature Film "The Long Short" http://indiegogo.com/projects/the-long-short--2

Shabazz Ray (Actor/Writer/Director)

JoeLamour
09-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Hey yveakp, that must have been frustrating... Why do you have a try at Crimso (http://crimso.com). I heard that it has no hidden costs and the lowest fees. Why don't you check it out ? :)

JL

p.s. I am in no way connected to it.

Filmlover
10-02-2013, 03:41 PM
I've run both Kickstarter and Indigogo campaigns for my films (and one other non film related project). None were funded entirely, although I get closer each time. Lots of good information here which should help.

I am taking this webinar on October 16th with John Trigonis from Indigogo. I've heard nothing but good things about his book. Terrific reviews, if only a dozen or so of them, on Amazon.

https://www.stage32.com/webinars/Cutting-Through-The-Noise-The-Keys-to-a-Successful-Crowdfunding-Campaign?affid=fes2

I plan on launching another campaign on Indigogo in mid November.

Doozy Inc
10-09-2013, 05:02 PM
I've run both Kickstarter and Indigogo campaigns for my films (and one other non film related project). None were funded entirely, although I get closer each time. Lots of good information here which should help.

I am taking this webinar on October 16th with John Trigonis from Indigogo. I've heard nothing but good things about his book. Terrific reviews, if only a dozen or so of them, on Amazon.

https://www.stage32.com/webinars/Cutting-Through-The-Noise-The-Keys-to-a-Successful-Crowdfunding-Campaign?affid=fes2

I plan on launching another campaign on Indigogo in mid November.

Good luck! Keep me posted when you launch!

jolene
10-17-2013, 12:17 PM
:)
Hiya, I'm completely new to everything so wanted to ask when did you start getting the money? I sent link to many of my friends but no one is willing to support me (eh...). I've been working hard on it, kept editing it but still no luck. I wish I could have afforded to pay for the better video though.

What is your experience - how to get the audience and the money?

Advise please.
PS: I have a DIZEASE and you can help me out: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dizease/x/4767016

Doozy Inc
10-17-2013, 12:22 PM
:)
Hiya, I'm completely new to everything so wanted to ask when did you start getting the money? I sent link to many of my friends but no one is willing to support me (eh...). I've been working hard on it, kept editing it but still no luck. I wish I could have afforded to pay for the better video though.

What is your experience - how to get the audience and the money?

Advise please.
PS: I have a DIZEASE and you can help me out: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dizease/x/4767016

Hi Jolene,

This is an equation we are all trying to figure out. When I was with kickstarter... pledges came left and right. My previous project with indiegogo..... I hit 21 backers in 6 weeks and with kickstarter I hit 21 backers in 2 days. Go figure. With Indiegogo... you just have to keep on networking. Blast them tweets, kiss your facebook. Now I also believe in this... and this happened to me. If your friends are not willing to support you.... is the product good enough?

Just keep on marketing! Good Luck!

-Carl

Shiva
10-18-2013, 08:59 AM
An interesting stat that I just read was that only 20% of Indiegogo Campaigns are fully funded, while 42% of Kickstarter projects get fully funded.

Kickstarter is very transparent with stats, you can see them for 2012 here: http://www.kickstarter.com/help/stats

I would have given a lot (well, I'd given something) to see Indiegogo post those same numbers, especially repeat supporters. I can't imagine Indiegogo has very many, with so many "flexible funding" projects failing to reach their goals.

It's of course true - and sad! - that Kickstarter requires projects to be based in US or UK. Still, I'd think twice about using Indiegogo, and maybe rather look into some of the smaller, curated threshold pledge sites more tied to specific countries (e.g. Ulule for France, FundedByMe for Sweden, Pozible for Australia). The publicity benefit from just being present on them is probably close to zero, but at least it's not negative, which it can easily be if your project gets associated with Indiegogo's many dubious "flexible funding" projects.

Doozy Inc
10-23-2013, 02:50 AM
Here is living proof of some of your comments. Both projects are live. I am not paying attention to the Indiegogo Campaign ( I wish I can shut it off)

Indiegogo (www.igg.me/at/doozywatch)
Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doozyinc/doozy-watch-always-be-connected-an-innovative-time)

They are both running...... Indiegogo had a 7 day head start. Kickstarter has been up only 2 hours from this post.

I am not trying to run two campaigns. Kickstarter approved me today after a 3 week approval process. Well worth the wait!

-Doozy Inc.

HeavensToGretzky
10-25-2013, 11:17 AM
my biggest issue with both of these programs is that there is no guarantee you will see results from your donation - sometimes when I donate, all I see is a receipt and no finished product

Doozy Inc
10-25-2013, 11:55 AM
my biggest issue with both of these programs is that there is no guarantee you will see results from your donation - sometimes when I donate, all I see is a receipt and no finished product

Unfortunately that is how some of them are. If you see the quality projects from Kickstarter to some on Indiegogo you can kind of see which ones are legit or not. Kickstarter has a big platform and most creators do not want to diminish their name on there. Indiegogo does not have an approval process so there can be a problem there.

1.) Back up projects that you see is trustworthy, If you see a lot of backers go for it!

2.) Check out the backers records. Most platform if you click on the PLEDGER you can see how many products hey back up. The more they have, it means that the person trust you.

3.) My little tip is... the more information on the page, the better. As a Creator... I tend to over write my page because I am every excited about my project... Yes it can bite me in the ass.. however I rather display whats going on then be short and have people dream and hope.

4.) Ask questions! always ask a creator when you are in doubt. My rule of thumb is that if you see that it is a slow project... they should be replying to you quickly. If it is a big money growing project... expect to be answered within 24 hours.

Hope that helps!

Cara@BloomVC
11-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks for your overview - some interesting points! I just wanted to ask if you looked at other crowdfunding platforms, and how much research you did before choosing a platform? I work for rewards based platform, Bloom VC, and I'm interested to find out how project owners select platforms.

madeleineetienne
11-12-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm currently using Indiegogo and I must say the customer service is great. They allowed me to change my end date, despite the fact that you're warned it's set in stone once you launch (of course I was only making it one day later). For me flexible funding was the way to go because even if we don't make our goal, as a filmmaker, I can make my project work with less money -- It's just not ideal. We have 27 days left on our campaign and in the first three days, we've raised over 10% of our goal. But we still have a long way to go:

Not the folder for links to campaigns

Doozy Inc
11-12-2013, 07:58 PM
I'm currently using Indiegogo and I must say the customer service is great. They allowed me to change my end date, despite the fact that you're warned it's set in stone once you launch (of course I was only making it one day later). For me flexible funding was the way to go because even if we don't make our goal, as a filmmaker, I can make my project work with less money -- It's just not ideal. We have 27 days left on our campaign and in the first three days, we've raised over 10% of our goal. But we still have a long way to go:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-worst-is-over-short-film/x/5340725

Good luck!!! Hope the best!

Doozy Inc
11-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks for your overview - some interesting points! I just wanted to ask if you looked at other crowdfunding platforms, and how much research you did before choosing a platform? I work for rewards based platform, Bloom VC, and I'm interested to find out how project owners select platforms.

I have looked at a lot of platforms... and it seems like depending on your marketing strategy some platforms are better than others. Since I have launched mine.. one with indiegogo then kickstarter a week later because finally kickstarter approve me after 2 months... You can see both campaign... Indiegogo raised... $640 thus far with 10 more days to go and Kickstarter raised $33K with 9 more days to go. Go figure! I wanted to cancel the Indiegogo campaign... but they won't let me.

gwong
11-13-2013, 07:14 PM
One import factor to pick between KickStarter and Indiegogo is the project itself.

If your project fall in the Hardware and Product Design categories, Kickstarter are prohibited from offering multiple quantities of a single reward. Projects in these categories can only offer one reward per pledge, with the exception of rewards that truly function as a set (e.g., salt and pepper shakers or building blocks). Offering a reward as a single quantity AND a set is not permitted.

With that say, you have to work a lot harder to get your reward going with multiple items. It could be troublesome for fulfillment

Additionally, if your project might suggest or provide health advice, Kickstarter will not let you launch your project on their platform.

If you go search KickStarter, you won't find any gadget similar to Fitbit, Amiigo, or anything a like.

My project is a SunScreen Reminder and we got rejected by KickStarter and currently on Indiegogo : LUXES bracelet - Sunscreen Reminder (http://bit.ly/luxesbracelet)

ValHoffman
11-14-2013, 11:07 PM
I've just launched a Kickstarter campaign to self-publish my first novel - The BloodStone Chronicles: Purgatory.

I wish I had known about this forum before launching because I might have tried Indiegogo first since it sounds like that's more for creative literary projects.

Does anyone know - can you have campaigns on both at the same time? Or do you have to wait until one campaign finishes and if it's not successful, then try the other site? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Cara@BloomVC
11-15-2013, 06:11 AM
I've just launched a Kickstarter campaign to self-publish my first novel - The BloodStone Chronicles: Purgatory.

I wish I had known about this forum before launching because I might have tried Indiegogo first since it sounds like that's more for creative literary projects.

Does anyone know - can you have campaigns on both at the same time? Or do you have to wait until one campaign finishes and if it's not successful, then try the other site? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

I've seen projects have multiple campaigns running at the same time, but I would advise against it because you'll end up spending less time on each campaign, and risk splitting backers between the projects, with neither hitting target.

Good luck with your crowdfund!

ValHoffman
11-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks, Cara, for the reply.

I've seen projects have multiple campaigns running at the same time, but I would advise against it because you'll end up spending less time on each campaign, and risk splitting backers between the projects, with neither hitting target.

Good luck with your crowdfund!

alifeforkennedy
11-19-2013, 01:23 PM
They should make kickstarter international

rpkpicturres
11-19-2013, 07:17 PM
My first time using this method, Indiegogo was my choice after creating a kickstarter merely because I wanted to attain some funds rather than none at all, check it out:

chrism2004
12-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, can I please have your attention. I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story. I need all of you, to stop what you're doing and listen. Cannonball.

Aphire
12-16-2013, 02:52 PM
I originally wanted to go with kickstarter, but with me being 18 and never filed taxes, Amazon Payments rejected me. So i ended up going with indiegogo, because of how easy it is. But I can agree that kickstarter can get your project seen by more people easier.

riveral
01-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Is There an Application Process for Using Kickstarter or Indiegogo?

Jhill
01-01-2014, 09:33 PM
I haven't tried Indiegogo. Haven't had much success with Kickstarter either. I put up a description, short biography of the creators, a video, etc., but nothing (even after promoting it). I'm not sure I want to continue as I looked at a successfully funded project where there was a handful of rewards, no video, and a very, very brief paragraph.

Maybe too much information is bad?

moderntank
01-07-2014, 04:57 AM
i did try kick-start ,but was unable to ask from family and friend to donate and support sins they live in the middle east
so i moved it to indiegogo

smartinvestor
01-07-2014, 05:54 AM
I haven't tried Indiegogo. Haven't had much success with Kickstarter either. I put up a description, short biography of the creators, a video, etc., but nothing (even after promoting it). I'm not sure I want to continue as I looked at a successfully funded project where there was a handful of rewards, no video, and a very, very brief paragraph.

Maybe too much information is bad?

I think it really mainly comes down to the product or service, rather than simply how much information is given in the campaign.

MotiFriedman
01-09-2014, 03:21 PM
The problem with Kickstarter is that it works with Amazon Payments and therefore to the best of my knowledge only people from the USA or the UK can start a project there. Indiegogo works with PayPal and thus is more international.

Moti Friedman,
Co-creator, Upside-down World,(link removed)

Carlos Alvarez
01-10-2014, 02:15 PM
Hi Doozy,

Thanks for the comparative information on the two platforms. I am glad to hear that you are having more success in kickstarter than indiegogo. I am currently building a project of my own and it is a bit overwhelming. Pops up to you for not giving up after your first time.

I will pass along your kickstarter project in our social media.

Carlos

AaronLbiz
02-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Kick it is. I was on both. Didn;t like what i was surrounded with on Indiegogo. A lot of junk I'm surprised made it through their screening. Thankful though as they gave me the opportunity but more push on Kickstarter for sure. I had trouble initially with Kickstaretr making sure my product was compliant. Didn;t have that problem with Indiegogo, but it's reassuring. It lets you know that Kickstarter really reviews what come sthrough and tries to keep it clean.

Sunny109
02-14-2014, 09:05 PM
When I launched my kickstarter, I had a backer within a few hrs...but alas the project couldn't maintain the momentum and failed. I thought I'd give indiegogo a try but I'm finding it hard for people to click the link, let alone donate....or even share it. But it's still very early and I am hopeful. Of course my project isn't the latest funky gadget which are clearly the most popular, but hopefully I will find my audience soon. Thanks for the comparison!

Jack Marchetti
02-23-2014, 03:40 PM
As someone who ran a relatively successful Kickstarter that failed (raised $64,515 out of $100k goal) I'd say only use IGG if you don't need the full amount.

Kickstarter's all or nothing setup allows for the surge at the end (I raised $30,000 on my final day - that will never happen on IGG if the backers know you're getting whatever is raised anyway, no sense of urgency).

Also, and this is just personal preference but Kickstarter just looks nicer. It's designed better and is more of a known entity now.

chilfactor
02-25-2014, 11:01 AM
Some great information here! Thanks all!

levi
03-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Good to know the experience you guys went through so I can compare.

Michael O'Connor
03-16-2014, 01:25 AM
I enjoyed reading all of the responses! There are definitely features I like from both!

Kickstarter seems to have a larger support community and strong sense of getting projects funded. This is also supported by their more stringent approval process. I also enjoy the layout of their campaign set up a little bit more, all the way to the final steps.

IndieGogo is definitely for the larger crowd, but there are a great number of projects that don't ever get funded. I think they are winning on the final approval process, it was a lot easier to get the funding side of the project approved versus the Amazon Payment Verification on Kickstarter. I do like the dashboard as well on Indiegogo, it is really easy to see where traffic is coming from as well as funding!

I'm running a campaign right now on IndieGogo, it's my first so we will see how it goes! If you'd like to hear more about how the project and progress is going feel free to keep in touch! You can also keep track on our project page: Edit: Link removed. please use the relevant folder to start a thread about your campaign.

Happy Crowd Funding to you All!

tonkatsu
06-09-2014, 05:35 PM
I personally have only donated to Kickstarter and not indiegogo. I wonder why? I guess I follow the news a lot and a lot of the buzzy projects are on Kickstarter, so I just follow that. I will have to take a look at indiegogo.

harperh10
06-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info. It seems like KICKSTARTER has the community more so than Indiegogo.

Hentai
06-10-2014, 02:27 PM
I agree. Kickstarter projects seem to have the best buzz and a very supportive community.

The all or nothing version of KS has its advantages, pointed out several times in the thread, one of them being that HUGE surge at the end of a project just before it successfully completes.

If you are 75% of the way there before the final 24 hours the end-surge will get you to 100%. If you are at 100% that end surge will be on-the-fence people and new discoverers taking advantage of your rewards tiers.

Personally, I found Kickstarter's various discovery tools to be very useful. Directing dozens of people to our project that may not have found it in related communities or our social media campaign.

I am not sure if this is as true for IGG as it is KS, but there are many people who back Kickstarters for Kickstarter's sake. They don't go to KS to back any specific project but go simply to browse. If you can intrigue them its an audience of people who have backed dozens of projects before and may back you.

Willie Ray Deonne
06-19-2014, 02:28 PM
Kickstarter is better in it's community oriented approach, IMHO.

Chief
06-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Kickstarter. I like it more because of it's color scheme lol.

deuxesunglasses
06-19-2014, 08:30 PM
We've just launched our project (Deuxe Sunglasses (http://igg.me/at/deuxesunglasses)) on Indiegogo! We couldn't use Kickstarter due to regulations and restrictions in certain products. :(

KookyKiwiw
06-20-2014, 02:35 AM
It is kinda frustrating how Kickstarter only allows bank accounts for people liKing in the UK and US. I am in the middle in Ireland so I have had to use Indiegogo

James Ray
06-20-2014, 02:39 PM
I think kickstarter has more viral power than indigogo,theres sites that cater more to kickstarter,i guess there more loyal people who love the site.cant blame them kickstarter is pretty cool in my book.

Quincy Ip
06-20-2014, 04:09 PM
im new to this crowd funding thing but i guess il give indigogo a try

snaptrip
06-21-2014, 04:27 PM
I might end up using either Kick or Indie eventually for my idea. But for the moment I've put my pitch up on a lesser known site. Due to the way it works. I might lean towards Kickstarter in the end. Ill have to see.

arrowpjt
06-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Hi Carl,
I agree with your experience, I had the same thing happen with me but I made the mistake of canceling my Kickstarter project. Indiegogo seemed a lot harder, but there is always that freedom which no approval. However, I did reach and exceeded my first Indiegogo campaign, but it took personal work on my end to make it happen. With Kickstarter, I really didn't do much promotion, except a few tweets. There is also a massive Kickstarter community, more groups, more forums, and generally just a lot more. Thanks for sharing your story!

- Villoni
Creator, Arrow Project

Devonp1982
06-25-2014, 05:35 PM
I am using kickstarter right now for my project ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1781544146/finders-keepers-a-thriller-mystery-novel ), but my buddy swears by Indiegogo.

grueni
07-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Since Kickstarter gets more international now.
I would go with Kickstarter!

crystal_rosen
07-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Kickstarter ftw. for me anyway. Although I just wish there were more opportunities to promote yourself on there

4chanims
07-09-2014, 02:48 PM
I have a project on IndieGoGo, which has just started. I've had an ok amount of hits and actually some good exposure/interest but still no backers. I know from personal experience that Kickstarter has a bigger following and people are probably more ready to throw their money at projects... Still, as my project offers limited or no physical product in return, I felt I was disadvantaged in comparison to most Kickstarters.

While I prefer IndieGoGo's business model, I question whether I made the right decision. After all, my target isn't too high... Also I'm in the UK so no problems with the whole international issue.

Given my demographic, IGG seemed like the better choice but I'm still unsure. I'm gonna stick it out and see what happens anyway.

Johnathan Leow
07-12-2014, 08:04 AM
hmm...putting aside the hassle of the Kickstarter vetting process, it really isn't a matter of whether kickstarter of Indiegogo is better. It's more about how well you planned the marketing launch for your campaign, and also if you can even reach 100% funding.

If you can reach 100% funding, then that's where the KS vs IGG difference kicks in. You might get featured on either's weekly email newsletter (which is kind of good extra PR publicity for you). In that respect, KS definitely has a bigger email list= more funds than IGG.

My IGG project was featured before in the IGG newsletter, and it brought a spike to sales,

But till then, I think it's better to first work on a good pre-launch strategy first. That's most important i feel. :)

zzorrann
07-13-2014, 05:40 AM
Kickstarter is better i think

ShelleyConquest
07-13-2014, 09:01 AM
We chose Kickstarter for our project because of the marketing power and community around it, although it was very tempting to go with Indiegogo simply because you don't have to reach 100%.

I also found that KS recently removed or changed their process, so our project actually did not have to go through approval with them. It was automatically approved. Has anyone else experienced that?

davidgoh
07-15-2014, 04:35 AM
IndieGogo & Kickstarter comparisons aside, I think that the USBand is actually a pretty cool idea! (especially for someone like me who's lost at least 5 USB drives in the last decade...) A little disappointing to see that it didn't get the traction it deserves. :/

chrisallred
07-15-2014, 06:41 PM
I have joined Kickstarter and it is slow going, but I am only 2 days in with 1 donation.

substandardtim
07-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Maybe a thought like this has already been expressed in one of the previous 9 pages but for me as a backer I am not such a fan of indiegogo.com for the simple fact of the flexible funding option being used on projects that might produce nothing if the funding goal is not reached but they get the money anyway.

For example, say a short film project wants $10,000 to make their film but they only raise $4,000 and get that money because of flexible funding. Will they be able to make the film for $4,000? If so then why did they ask for $10,000? And if they can't make the same film for $4,000 then why should they take anyone's money? Will the people who pledged towards that $4,000 get the film they were promised for $10,000?

Most likely they won't and that is why I don't like indiegogo.com in many cases.

Ilya Kruchinin
07-18-2014, 10:09 PM
We wanted to promote our project through Kickstarter at first, but got rejected... That's why we went to Indiegogo. Can you check our project and tell us why they reject us?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rockpepper-laptop-bag

Stephen Jones
07-19-2014, 03:17 AM
I initially was going to use IndieGoGo for my campaign, based solely on keeping whatever money is pledged even if I don't reach the goal. But partially because my goal was relatively small for a crowdfunding campaign, and partially because I see Kickstarter getting a lot more attention, I opted for the latter. I understand what the above poster is saying about backers maybe shying away from IndieGoGo because of the flexible funding, but that really is a bit of a draw for a lot of projects.

What I would say about "if they could make it for $4,000, why ask for $10,000" is that just because they can get the project done for one amount doesn't mean the larger amount wouldn't help them even more. In a project like an indie film, that extra six thousand could mean better cameras, updated editing bay, or any number of other things that maybe they don't need to simply complete the project, but feel they DO need to create the best possible version of the project within a realistic goal.

thetimeisnow
07-20-2014, 02:05 PM
I will launch on IndieGoGo. The project launches on Monday. I will write a thread on the designing of the campaign, pre-launch and what happens during the campaign. This information has helped to confirm that IndieGoGo was the right choice.

colinng
07-21-2014, 02:31 AM
Thanks! It's recommending kickstarter then!

niceblogger
07-21-2014, 09:26 AM
I've choosen Indiegogo, because Kickstart it's not available in my country. Bad for them !

Funny Bone Films
07-21-2014, 03:35 PM
Personally not a big fan of indiegogo and I am going the creative or movie type. It has a much smaller success rate and more projects to get through to have yours seen.

Dami
07-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Hi, I'm doing a research for my postgraduate dissertation on the issue surrounding project delivery delay/failure which has probably become an area of concern. There is little or no research yet on how these delays affect Backers or what impact it has on our funding behaviour. So if you have ever backed a project on Kickstarter, Indiegogo or any similar platform where you expected to receive a reward(whether it was delayed or not), then please fill out my survey (should take about 10mins)- https://www.esurveycreator.com/s/c0c66f7 and share with other Backers if you can. Thanks a lot :)

tokinu28
07-24-2014, 06:22 PM
reading the pros and cons for kickstarter and indiegogo we feel that kickstarter is the best for our project, but unfortunately the US/UK requirement forces us to indiegogo

bengoff89
07-26-2014, 03:58 PM
Kickstarter.

nycoffeebox
07-27-2014, 12:14 AM
I am on indiegogo now so I will report back with my experiences.

lawsonmoonrunner
07-30-2014, 10:01 PM
I went with Indiegogo recently because even if we only received a portion of our funds, we could still use whatever we raised to make something. We're doing an animated web-series. If we get, say, 1/3 of what we need, then we just make it 1/3 the length.

southernyankee25
08-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Carl
as I have only done this once before (for my brother in law whom lost his hand in an accident) what would you recommend for me? Indiegogo/kickstarter. This is personal so I'm not sure if there is different crowd funding resource I should use. Thank you in advance

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/us-veteran-home-improvement-dream-home/x/8331193

RomanSokolov
08-03-2014, 03:23 AM
It is a very good owerview..I think..

btcomp
08-03-2014, 08:28 AM
I read your post, and I too have a project, it's on https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1961604384/letters-from-a-soldier?ref=email

I donated 1 dollar to your brother-in-law, and wish I could do more. My site might be of interest in that I trying to put up letters from soldiers to and from wars or conflicts. It started with WWII & then I am now trying to get Vietnam vets to contribute letters, while I try to get backers on Kickstarter.

I donated through my Indiegogo account. I started this four years ago, so I still have an unfinished campaign (draft mode). And I came back to it a month ago, but decided to try Kickstarter first. It's tough, and I do have some donations. But good luck Carl in your brother-in-laws campaign. I know wholeheartedly the pitfalls.

As a ending note, Carl, if your brother-in-law has any letters (not-emails) that he received or wrote while in the service I would be glad to put it on my website at http://www.lettersfromasoldier.com/edward_thomas/aleutians/images/edward_j_thomas_aleutians_ww2_560x396.jpg

I am not presently doing the Iraq or Afghanistan conflicts, but would love to showcase his letter(s) if so inclined.

Peace & God Bless.

btcomp
08-03-2014, 11:44 AM
My Kickstarter Link is https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1961604384/letters-from-a-soldier?ref=emailYou can see my website there or on my signature. http://lettersfromasoldier.com/

TysonMarie
08-03-2014, 12:02 PM
I think kickstarter is better

btcomp
08-03-2014, 02:29 PM
That is what I am thinking. There are more users. Indiegogo is good I'm sure, and if my campaign fails on Kickstarter I might put it there.

http://lettersfromasoldier.com/vietnam/images/vietnam_thumb_kickstarter.jpg

BadAttitudeFilms
08-04-2014, 02:35 AM
It seems that Kickstarter has more fans. But is Indiegogo more fair to users?

giftsandcoupons
05-02-2015, 12:01 PM
I'd go with IGG for this particular project, it's supported by more countries too.

ASione
05-04-2015, 07:27 PM
kickstarter has a more organized feel, so i like kickstarter more

mvawdre2
05-07-2015, 04:10 PM
As many have stated before, kickstarter has a bigger community and is a bit more organized, though the charges for using the platform are a bit steeper.

dragonflySpit
05-07-2015, 08:04 PM
I chose Kickstarter based on a few people that were funded by it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/826099294/walts-dragonfly-spit-hot-sauce-one-mans-legacy-in

Another Day The Series
05-09-2015, 12:51 AM
I just strated a project on indiegogo, hopefully everything will go well with it.

APL
05-13-2015, 06:28 AM
Thank you so much for this information. As a complete newbie, I had no idea which company to use, but now I`m going with Kickstarter

Orkyd Sheexs
05-14-2015, 03:30 PM
what is your project ? and did you do sth special for the promotion ?

Joe Dupree
05-18-2015, 08:42 AM
both serve there purpose what do you guys think of gofundme?

joel
05-19-2015, 03:46 PM
I quite like Kickstarter, the design is really nice and the whole UI is much better. Also, the projects are more interesting for me.

AmeliaG
05-20-2015, 02:00 AM
I've only done a project on Kickstarter and it was successful. So I can't speak to running a project on IGG, but I tend to feel motivated to back Kickstarter stuff way more often.

travisjeffrey
05-20-2015, 11:26 AM
I think the one major benefit—at least for smaller projects— with Indiegogo is the flexible funds. Without that, Kickstarter raises the risk level of a project not being funded at all, which can be a little daunting, especially for student productions.

Samschurch
05-31-2015, 03:20 PM
Show your faith in God. Every purchase helps build a new church. Visit our store today. https://t.co/4JaLexHWS3

babyshoesmovie
06-02-2015, 01:59 PM
I prefer Kickstarter. Though my last two projects have been unsuccessful, I prefer their layout and customer service.

Naganis
06-04-2015, 04:07 AM
For a web-based product, which crowdfunding platform do you think is better?

Vanessa
06-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Here are some interesting platform analytics from Krowdster that can help you in deciding which platform is most suitable for your project
https://www.krowdster.co/blog/pick-best-crowdfunding-platform-project.html

Katie Llanas
06-07-2015, 09:28 PM
Indiegogo Life seems to be a good place for those who are doing it for personal causes. We'll see...that's what I am using now.

truthseeker
06-16-2015, 12:39 PM
I've heard kickstarter has more built in traffic but Indiegogo is more 'liberal'

DimaSain
07-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Very interesting view of different people in this subject, the first time we have used Kickstarter and the project was successful. At this time, we have placed our company on both platforms: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1004547155/damico-colorful-aluminum-bow-ties, https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/damico-aluminum -colorful-bow-ties / x / 11290658 # / story. You can see the results start collecting funds for these two sites? If you have an interesting offer or an opinion on the project, I will be happy to read here.

xxhugo12
07-04-2015, 10:09 AM
Well since i live in Portugal i can't use kickstarter so i vote on indiegogo on this one

Alex Post
07-07-2015, 08:58 AM
indiegogo is much more international that cickstarer and much more liberal

Pål Skaugen
07-09-2015, 08:19 AM
Anyone know when kickstarter is available in europe?

tobiastobbell
07-17-2015, 06:11 AM
I'm from UK and just started a project via Kickstarter - I didn't realise it wasn't available to use in the (rest of?) Europe. Does that mean people can't pledge from Europe too, or just can't run a campaign there?

#MurderSelfieMovie (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/377736998/murderselfie-a-short-comedy-horror)