PDA

View Full Version : Crowdfunding Project Rewards - Your opinions

David Nagel
06-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Hi everyone!

My first post, so I hope this is in the right place.

I am a filmmaker with almost a decade of experience in narrative film, animation, commercials and documentaries. Mostly all are my own personal projects, but I do have a fair amount of credits in other productions/output. The crowdfund scene has interested me no end, its gone from strength to strength and I've personally backed a few projects here and there to get the full Crowdfunder experience. Its been quite exciting!

Very soon I hope to launch a film project on Sponsume, a film I have been eager to get off the ground. The script is done, the previs is done, concept artwork has been made, some props and costumes have been partially constructed/bought. And now I am looking to launch a crowdfund to 1) get the props, costumes and sets built/made and 2) to get the thing filmed!

Obviously with the popular sites, Sponsume, Indiegogo and Kickstarter, comes with its rewards for backers, of which, I wanted to see what everyone here thought about the package when you back my film.

Your honest opinions very welcome, or even any helpful corrective suggestions you may have!

Anyway...

£1 or more
Receive an onscreen credit at the end of the film and Thank You email from the production team.

£10 or more
You will get a customised Thank You desktop wallpaper with images from the film. You will then get regular updates during production straight in your inbox plus a private early bird link to view the film online.

£20 and more
You will get all of the above, and 5x printed 4’x6’ photographs from the film shoot taken by our on set photographer.

£50 or more
Get our exclusive backer reward, a special handdrawn Chibi character of YOU! We will even send you a printed DVD of the film with full colour booklet.

£100 or more
Will get you a full colour printed CD of the music from the film alonng with a copy of our full size movie poster.

£250 or more
You can see your face IN the film! If you’re a UK backer, our camera crew will travel to you and film you reading for a short scene in the film. If you’re outside the UK, we will send you a printed t-shirt with our film logo and a personal thank you video message from the cast.

£500 or more
Will get you all this, plus we will send you one of our full size props or costume pieces from the film.

I've sent the above to a few close friends, some very close to the film itself, and all seemed happy with this. But I wanted to see what the wider opinions were on this and ultimately if someone will back the film - of course I've been vague until launch day, but rest assured, I'll post more about it when the promotional gears get in motion.

Thanks for reading! And happy crowdfunding!

best wishes

David Nagel

admin
06-27-2013, 07:31 PM
I would say those are all very thought out, unique, and valuable rewards. Good job :)

David Nagel
06-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Thanks!

Is it worth delaying one or two rewards to keep momentum perhaps? For example add the two higher ones later in the campaign? Or even separate the Uk/US one out and limit those numbers?

Not trying to be devilish because the project should be worthy enough to fund, I'm just thinking in the long run if it does struggle.

admin
06-28-2013, 08:02 AM
In My opinion, that strategy seems to be a good one. Add incentive later down the road as momentum may slow down.

Scorp Lake
06-29-2013, 09:21 PM
These are great. I'm struggling with my rewards right now. Thanks for some good ideas.

David Nagel
06-30-2013, 07:06 AM
You're welcome.

Now lets hope backers don't visit this thread, just in case they found out what they might be getting at some point, lol. I always liked a bit of surprise.

David Nagel
09-06-2013, 03:31 AM
*cough*

Well this project is finally out there.

*cough*

*points to signature*

Unfortunately no backers whatsoever and we're a quite a few days in now, for shame.

Anna
09-06-2013, 12:52 PM
It's somewhat hard to think of any sorta rewards for a game project besides the obvious ones. I like your ideas, though!

David Nagel
09-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Thanks Anna.

Unfortunately even these rewards are not pleasing the punters! We've only had 3 backers and we're coming up to the last 5 days of the campaign. #crowdfundfail

Does anyone think that this project can be redeemed in time?

CrowdFundBuzz
09-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Offer limited quantity rewards. This is the best reward technique. You can offer your £20 level for £15 but limit the quantity to 10 or 20. This level will sell out and give you a nice bump in funding. Once it sells out it will help you sell the next level up. This is the best example I have seen of this technique http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/versi/project-lumia-an-eighth-art

Notice how people backed at the next highest level once the lower level was sold out. Good stuff!

David Nagel
12-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Thanks CFB, unfortunately we didn't make the cut but having reviewed all the feedback and the pitch video viewership, I can see where interest started to wane. One person said the project price was too high, on reflection I'm beginning to agree. Films with more complicated setups have managed to get funded on considerably less, so I'll half it for next time maybe.

Another point that was raised was the lack of content about the film, which is a bit difficult to do when the film doesn't exist past storyboards and concept artwork - do people agree they'd like to see a little more of the film, maybe even a demo of the cast rehearsing? before they will put their money towards it?

Your input greatly appreciated, readers of this thread.