PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh North Carolina To Use Crowdfunding to Finance Projects it Can't afford

SocialCam
07-30-2013, 09:00 PM
As of late it seems like everyone is turning to crowdfunding, and this now include the City of Raleigh North Carolina. They will utilize crowdfunding to let the community donate towards projects that the city can not currently afford with the budget they have set forth for this year.

Full Article:
http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/07/28/3065673/raleigh-is-getting-serious-about.html

smartinvestor
07-31-2013, 02:44 AM
Will people really be inclined to donate to these schemes via crowdfunding in addition to handing over taxes?

lara.stewart
08-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Will people really be inclined to donate to these schemes via crowdfunding in addition to handing over taxes?

Handled right, I think that they could get people excited about these projects. Would a reward-based crowdfunded project be that different from a town fundraiser? The small town north of me has a monthly food truck rally downtown. They used profits one month to install new, decorative street lamps and another month to improve the sidewalks. I go most months, and the fact that they use the money to improve the community is one of my reasons for attending.

smartinvestor
08-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Handled right, I think that they could get people excited about these projects. Would a reward-based crowdfunded project be that different from a town fundraiser? The small town north of me has a monthly food truck rally downtown. They used profits one month to install new, decorative street lamps and another month to improve the sidewalks. I go most months, and the fact that they use the money to improve the community is one of my reasons for attending.

Yes, I suppose it embraces the 'community spirit' true enough.