PDA

View Full Version : Very frustrating Kickstarter experience... so far.

HCKPro
09-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Hey everyone, HCK here from Studio Happy Chicken...

We have a great project going, one that's been two years in the making. It's a video game "game show" of sorts pitting Japanese idols against retro video games in a contest of prizes or "punishments". Crazy, wacky stuff that could only be made in Japan.... so I guess it's a good thing that we're in Japan.

This project was a massive undertaking to bring all the right parts together, and I made sure that we had the go ahead from game companies and talent agencies before we started the campaign so that everything was on the up-and-up. I work in the entertainment industry in Tokyo so that made things a bit easier; but it's still difficult to get Japanese people to trust non-Japanese people in the corporate world over here.

Word of mouth has been extremely slow on this one. EXTREMELY slow. See, beyond having around 60 Facebook friends (people who are actually my friends) I am not a social networking beast. I don't go to forums, I don't use Twitter... I move in very small circles, and that has hurt our campaign.

None of the major gaming news websites that I've reached out to on multiple occasions have had any interest in talking abut our campaign. Forums kick me off for trying to start discussions about the project, calling me SPAM, even though I actively engage other posters. I've even been banned from sites for just trying to get the word out.

Like I mentioned above, this isn't a pie-in-the-sky kind of idea. We have all the players in place and we're actually ready to shoot... we just need the funds.

Any advice would be very helpful.

Charlie Maib, aka HCK

MatthewJHanson
09-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Most forums have rules about if, where, and how, aloud to post about Kickstarter campaigns. You want to make sure to research this before posting anywhere.

A lot of the other advice I would offer unfortunately is stuff that you would need to do before launching the campaign. You've realized that not using twitter has hurt the campaign? The obvious solution is to start using Twitter. Try to build up followers so that you can get people interested before you launch.

IVHopeLink
09-25-2013, 06:28 AM
Keep in mind that game sites, bloggers and social media people are being hit up by hundreds of new great ideas every week. It is tough. The people with the greatest success stories had a lot of connections to their industry if you do some digging. You cannot look at 10 CF successes and expect to have their experience.

smartinvestor
09-25-2013, 06:54 AM
Charlie, unless I've missed your thread I can't see where you are promoting your campaign on this forum.

That's what you need to be doing on this and similar forums which were set up to help people get the word out about their CrowdFunding projects.

Create a thread with your link to your campaign, and keep updating it as time goes on. That's how get interaction with other members, and will encourage people to go visit your campaign.