PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my project?

paala
10-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Hello,

I have an ungoing kickstarter project:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1525849593/vitalis-a-rpg-adventure-green-peace-game

The goal is super low, 2000 pounds.
The game project is high quality(IMO)
But the fund raising is not going so well, not ever reaching the funding goal.

I contacted press like 50 youtubers, and 200 press emails, and 50 contact form from
http://press.pixelprospector.com/

My question is what I do wrong?I see all quality projects in Kickstarter raising more than 10k some 100k some 500k. The chances for reaching 2k goal are super high like 95%.

Why my project is in those 5%?

Thanks

SocialCam
10-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Many of these games which bring in tens of thousands of dollars already have a strong social following. I know I may sound like a broken record, but having large following on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Linkedin can do you wonders prior to launching a project. Do you have a Facebook fan page and a twitter account for your game?

smartinvestor
10-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Sadly I think the games that many people want nowadays are violent, and/or with aliens and blood and gore.

I never play games on my computer, but if I did I'd far rather go for one like yours than the violent type, but I think I'm probably in the minority.

paala
10-09-2013, 02:48 AM
Well,
this project:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pyrodactyl/unrest-an-unconventional-rpg-set-in-ancient-india?ref=live
doesn;t have a fan base judging by twitter fb of author.
If fact 95% of good projects that have a modest funding goal are a success.
But my project is in the other 5%.
Or maybe the project doen;t have quality?
I look at my project and see it with other eyes, not neutral, is my project crappy?

c1ue
10-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Have you looked at the demographics of your target audience.

It seems like a significant part of the your message is Eco - there are multiple mentions of Greenpeace. If so, you might be better off targeting the Eco crowd as opposed to the game crowd - I think a lot of gamers are more interested in hot video babes, flying swords, and blood/explosions than the Eco theme, though I will absolutely say that I don't really know.

I do know that exposure matters. Writing cold call emails to publications must be done, but getting actual reviews and/or blog articles is what really matters. In Google searching for your project, I don't see any publications which aren't you - and that is a problem.

Also Vitalis is both a hair tonic and a few other products - that is unfortunate from a search perspective.

paala
10-10-2013, 02:19 AM
Hi,
Well regarding the Eco part, I say that this makes my project unique. everybody does games with violence, but I don;t think this is the problem, because i have 1200 views-19 backed now.Maybe those views 200 or more are mine. Good projects have 2000 backers.
Obvious I need more than 1000 views to get 2000 backers.

I totally agree getting reviews is the key. Maybe the good websites have hidden emails, because everybody spam public ones. There are some reviews not mine if you search Vitalis rpg/adventure.

I don't agree that the name counts, because nobody knows Vitalis. The backer doesn't search on google my game by name, doesn't find it and doens't pledge.

This is a good question, how backers know what projects are pledging?

- I think very few are kickstarter fans, scouting for project but the majority read news on their regular daily routine and if find something interesting they pledge.

I

Abram Jablonski
10-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Paala,

Unfortunately, I think you're putting out a message that people don't like, specifically: humans are bad for the environment, and need to change. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your message, but there are negative connotations, and people tend to shy away from those. Some advice that a Kickstarter backer gave me (as soon as it was clear my last attempt wasn't going to succeed) was not to drag it out and let it die a slow death, but to stop the campaign, regroup, and launch a new one. An added bonus is that your project will show up in the "new projects" list if you restart.

Right now, you've got 22 people who are interested in the game - ask them for their thoughts (and you can still post updates and get comments if you cancel). My advice on the game itself, for whatever it's worth, is to drop the stated goal of trying to change human behavior, and just focus on making a fun game. You can still try to make people aware of things, and try to influence their viewpoint and future choices, but it should be a side effect of the game for them, not the stated goal going into it.

Spot On J2K
10-16-2013, 11:12 PM
It looks like a good, quality game. The only problem I see is that it looks like the minimum it takes to get the actual game is a $25 pledge. That's pretty high for a project asking for so little. Kickstarter funders like to get the best bang for their buck. If they see a few games made by big, well-known developers selling their game for less than your asking price, they may opt for theirs unless they're absolutely in love with your idea.

MatthewJHanson
10-17-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm going to be brutally honest here. Please forgive me if any of this sounds harsh, I'm not trying to be mean just answer your question.

When I look at this it looks like the goal of the game is to teach a lesson. I don't want that. I want a game that's fun. If it is fun and happens to teach me a lesson that's fine. The problem is that potential backers either come to the project already with an opinion about environmentalism. Those who already agree with you won't back it because they think they already know all of this. Those who disagree with the message won't back it because they disagree with you. The main groups of people interested in teaching games would get it for somebody else. Parents for children, teachers for students, etc.

If you decided to try again, downplay the "change human attitudes" angle and concentrate on what makes the game fun to play.

Secondarily, it appears that you are not a native English speaker, and there are several grammatical mistakes that might put native speakers off. For example your very first bullet points says "There will be multiple paths to choose. For example you can choose to fight against unfriendly environment behavior or to ally the bad guys." In English you would "ally with the bad guys." Rightly or wrongly people will judge you on your grammar, and there are plenty of people who won't back a project because it contains errors. It's easy to believe that if the creator made such mistakes in the pitch, that the game itself will not be high quality.

If you relaunch, make sure that you have a native English speaker (or several) go through the pitch before it goes live.