PDA

View Full Version : How do I get active Kickstarter backers to support my project?

calibeachclothing
10-16-2013, 01:38 AM
Hello,

I launched a Kickstarter project recently and having trouble drawing the attention of active kickstarter backers. Most of my funding have been through new backers from social media, but I am looking to grab the attention from active backers instead. If anyone could give me advice that would be great.

Thank you

Morningstar
10-17-2013, 11:05 PM
You can go into any Kickstarter campaign and see the list of backers WITHOUT contact info. If they have a nifty unique name, you can find them on a google search and try writing to them. Likely, they won't write you back, but include a link back to your campaign and anything is possible. Good luck, Kickstarter is a LOT of very hard 16 hour days and even then there is no guarantee. What you actually need is your own 10K 15K fan base, or a very large supportive family! LOL

Shiva
10-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Whatever you do don't spam, and do NOT take Morningstar's advice and guess at supporters' obfuscated mails!

Really the only way to gain attention from verified active backers, is Kickstarter's own social features - and they kick in more the more your project is already successful, and there's no way to cheat them (as there shouldn't).

You should use kicktraq. Many of us stats-obsessed repeat kickstarter backers prefer its lists to Kickstarters' own ;)

jainhost
10-19-2013, 02:16 AM
Recently CrowdFund Buzz founder Matt Cooke gave a tip for people looking to start a campaign, he says that " The biggest tip I'll give is to only ask for how much money you need. Make sure you understand your funding (needs), especially if you're going with Kickstarter."

Salvador Briggman
10-22-2013, 11:44 AM
In my experience the pool of "active backers" is very small, and they tend to support projects they discover on the website that are cool and innovative. I'll also pay more attention to projects that my friends back (I'll get a notification).

Many of the creators I have interviewed will say that 30% of their funds raised will come from Kickstarter backers on the website that they don't know. Other runaway successes might experience closer to 70%, but they are still working hard to drive their own traffic from their network and strangers online via PR and marketing.

At this time in the lifecycle of the community, I don't think there is a viable way to specifically target people who regularly back Kickstarter projects without coming across as spammy. You need to attract them with a great project.

echochernik
10-23-2013, 02:21 PM
We've run three successful kickstarter campaigns, and just launched my fourth yesterday. I've found that 98 percent of my backers are from my personal mailing list (which is about 1500), plus our social media presence. There has been a very small percentage of contributing 'drop in' backers. So, I always suggest to people to gather a good, strong mailing list first. We gathered ours from comic and gaming conventions.
Hope this helps.
echo
www.echo-x.com
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/echox/echo-chernik-kickstarter-only-editions-winged-woma