PDA

View Full Version : (Kickstarter) Avalon's Destruction: Help fund the Prologue issues

avalon221
10-16-2013, 11:52 AM
It seems to me that the realm of science fiction can be divided into two rough, and very broad, camps. The first is the kind of science fiction dedicated to predicting the future either by speculating on futuristic technology or by showing humanity aspiring to something greater that itself. Some of the more famous examples would be "Star Trek" (this author is a devoted and fervent fan of Picard) and early science fiction writers like H.G Wells or Arthur C. Clarke. The second type of science fiction is built more for entertainment. It foregoes technical exploration and philosophy in favor of telling a story to entertain. The best example I can think of is "Star Wars" (at least up until the point where they just HAD to bring up the midi-chlorians).

Despite these two different schools of thought both these styles have one thing in common: they almost always believe that humanity, or the collection of sentient species that inhabit the universe, aspire to enlighten and better themselves. Luke has to overcome the Dark Side of the Force, the Enterprise has to explore brave new worlds, humanity has to take the next great evolutionary step whenever a giant black monolith shows up around the moons of Jupiter, and so forth. The comic I am working to create takes this idea and turns it on its head. I want to take the idea of a better future and turn it into a heartbreaking tragedy where, despite everyone's best efforts, humanity still manages to regress back into the old habits of greed and violence.

A bit of back story. In the universe of the comic Earth has been destroyed due to some unknown event only referred to "The Great Cataclysm". In desperation humanity fled to the stars hoping to find another Earth. After centuries of exploring they finally discovered a new planet which they christened after the ship that brought them there: Avalon. Humanity settled and prospered, eventually discovering and terraforming new planets to create a new Golden Age of scientific advancement and prosperity. However, the comic starts just as the happy feelings and good will is fraying around the edges. Eventually everything will break down into a brutal and violent Civil War.

I don't want to give away too many details here because I want to guide you to the Kickstarter page, where you can find more information on the artwork and the charcters, but the basic plot overview is that the story follows a group of friends as they train, live, learn, fight, bond, and eventually die (but only some) in this massive Civil War. That being said I have taken many steps to ensure that there will be lots of eye candy for the comic. Everything from exotic planets, to massive space battles, to men and women encased in giant mech suits blasting and wailing on each other with exotic weaponry (come on, you know you want to see mech suit battles don't you). So please, check out the page, donate, share, and let me know what you think. Thanks

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1815176634/avalons-destruction-prologue?ref=live