PDA

View Full Version : (Kickstarter) My Apollo - a picture book sweet tale of a small boy and a rescue dog

Sabrina Huang
10-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Hi everybody! My name is Nina and I am a contemporary animal artist based in Portland, Oregon. I have an active Kickstarter campaign (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2028755627/my-apollo-an-artful-story-book-of-hope-and-healing) (from October 14th to November 26th) to publish my first picture book about the healing and uplifting bond between a small boy named Briar and a rescue greyhound dog named Apollo!

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2829/10313622193_16845134c3_z.jpg

I am the author-illustrator behind this picture book, and the story is inspired by my own relationship with my rescue greyhound. Have you ever gazed into your dog’s eyes and felt a deep sense of gratitude and appreciation for all the joy and healing he or she has brought into your life? And as so many dog-parents who have rescued dogs can relate, sometimes it is not clear at all who rescued whom! Dogs come into our lives all furry and huggable, and yet they can be our most profound teachers and healers. This picture book celebrates exactly this love for the human-canine bond.

The two main characters come together in the beginning of the story with some struggles of their own. Briar is from a single-father family and the story begins with him struggling in school with falling grades and social anxiety. Apollo was bred to run races for gamblers, and by the time he was at a greyhound shelter, he has developed deep distrust of humans and a fearful orientation toward life. This book, in essence, is about how these two characters come together to change each other for the better.

We are raising $22500 to print the first run of 2000 hardbound books using high-quality art paper. The book will be both a children’s book and an art book, featuring only hand-painted illustrations. Supporters can get a signed copy of the hard-cover book for $25! Please check it out and spread the word. This book is perfect for children and dog-lovers. :)