PDA

View Full Version : Article on Gamasutra: A problem with Kickstarter

Shiva
10-24-2013, 07:01 AM
http://gamasutra.com/blogs/ElenaMikhaylova/20131023/203025/A_Problem_with_Kickstarter.php

An interesting investigation into some of the shady ways people try to get rich on Kickstarter, and underdeliver or outright run away with the money.

I think she's being overly harsh on some points - I'm convinced the reason most projects are delayed, for instance, is almost always result of excessive optimism rather than scams. As such I don't think it would be improved by extra accountability.

But it's interesting that even the crowdfunding site that is most restrictive and picky about its projects, still has far too little project starter accountability for many people. I'll readily admit it's a problem as a Kickstarter backer, even though I'm very selective and careful about what I fund.

Are there any crowdfunding sites offering competition on Kickstarter in this area? Offering better guarantees to backers through vetting and accountability demands of project starters?

smartinvestor
10-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Frankly I'm surprised at just how many complaints there have been about some Crowdfunding campaigns. The above article points out some of the offenders in this regard.

There seem to be a lot of broken promises about the rewards, the products themselves, and misrepresentation about the real location of the campaign starters.

It's when I read of cases like these that I realize that the SEC must get it right in order to help prevent scammers giving Crowdfunding a bad name. It's very sad when people donate out of a generous heart only to be taken for a ride by scam merchants.

Salvador Briggman
10-24-2013, 12:23 PM
I've seen one or two websites that will work hard to vet creators. I can't remember them off the top of my head, but one was a crowdfunding for apps platform. They have no where near the traffic that Kickstarter does though.

The problem with getting in the middle as a platform is that when you say that you will vet creators and do diligence, then you are liable as a platform if there is a scam and can be sued more easily. Kickstarter makes it so that you have to sue the creator, not them, if you want your money back. In business sense, this is a smart way to avoid lawsuits. Unfortunately, it isn't as good of a solution for backers.

HeavensToGretzky
10-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Personally, I've always been doubtful about donating on kickstarter. Sure, it might lead to some benefit in the distant future, but a lot of people scam the system. Its like welfare. Have an idea but dont have the startup capitol? Sure, I'll pay for it and you have no need to actually follow through

Enno
10-28-2013, 02:26 PM
It's a shame that some people disgrace a system like kickstarter. Crowdfunding still can help to bring Visions to life that are daring and in the purpose for a better world, not to get rich.

Shiva
10-29-2013, 07:47 AM
As I said, I am more concerned about incompetence/over-optimism than scams on Kickstarter. I tried to compile a list of KS projects I were totally confident were premeditated scams, but I could only find two that were funded (searching unfunded projects is hard on Kickstarter, by design :mad:).