PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as TOO MANY REWARDS PACKAGES?

Matt Busch
11-03-2013, 05:26 AM
I like the idea of having a lot of rewards available for my Kickstarter backers to choose from. However, I'm getting a lot of feedback from wannabe supporters that are telling me there's too many cool rewards packages to choose from.

That sounds like a good thing, but if it's distracting them from actually making the pledge, I'm not so sure.

If interested, my Kickstarter project is called HOLLYWOOD IS DEAD: a coffee table art book that collects all the iconic Movie Posters which I've repainted painstakingly by hand before giving them the Zombie treatment...

( (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mattbusch/hollywood-is-dead-coffee-table-art-book)No links in this folder please - signature only)

Thanks ahead of time for any insight!

Cara@BloomVC
11-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Hi Matt.

Interesting point. I work for Bloom VC, a rewards based platform, and in our experience too many can sometimes be distracting, and cause indecision over which reward level to pick (particularly if reward levels are close together). We recommend 5-7 levels as the ideal amount, although it can vary.

Your rewards still seem to be doing the trick, best of luck with the remainder of your crowdfunding campaign!

MatthewJHanson
11-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Yes. There's something choice paralysis, that basically says that if people have too many choices, the end up not making a choice. I'd stick with a mx of 7 backer levels.

Keep in mind, in Kickstarter you can also have add-ons, where backers increase their pledge value by a certain amount to get an additional reward. This is probably less intimidating to potential backers.

smartinvestor
11-03-2013, 04:49 PM
However, I'm getting a lot of feedback from wannabe supporters that are telling me there's too many cool rewards packages to choose from.

Too many choices serves to confuse. As others have mentioned, the addition of rewards is best used as the campaign progresses, especially if the campaign looks to be stalling.

SocialCam
11-05-2013, 12:35 PM
The CEO of Indiegogo recently gave an interview and actually mentioned this... http://crowdfundingforum.com/showthread.php/8513-Indiegogo-CEO-Gives-Crowdfunding-Tips-and-Statistic

The ideal number of reward levels is between 3 and 8. Any more or any less will get you less backers on average.

admin
11-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Basically you want to appeal to everyone possible, without overwhelming people with decisions. Like Socialcam said, 3-8 is good. I would probably say 5-7 rewards would be ideal.

apm-designs
11-11-2013, 12:47 PM
We started a kickstarter campaign and asked for feedback and many said that the rewards where not too clear. I know that is different than too many rewards, but if there is too many to choose from it can make people indecisive and frustrated as they do not know what to choose....at least that is my opinion....Also if potential backers see a LONG page with many rewards at first glance they may think there is too much info and might not even look properly.

Flaviapdx
11-12-2013, 12:21 AM
I agree that people are overwhelmed by too many rewards packages (as a backer, I know I am! And as a project manager I wanted to keep it simple for my own sanity! Also, if you have too many rewards levels that are too similar to one another, people get confused. Keep it simple and aimed at the product or deliverable that you are funding.

alizah
11-17-2013, 11:50 PM
yes agree, it should be simple and focusing on the product

CrowdFundFusion
11-26-2013, 11:10 PM
There have been projects that have had only a few to ones that have had what seemed like dozens. After going through so many projects I can say that there is no clear pattern. It depends on what type of project you are doing. Best advice is to see what other similar projects have done and see what seemed to work (use different metrics like did the project reach it's goal amount, how good was the video etc) and then see what tiers were used. Most of the questions you had were probably asked before and by seeing how your inspiration/competitors planned their tiers will give you an advantage when selecting yours.

TeamKryll
12-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Is it bad form to add packages after a campaign is launched?

admin
12-10-2013, 09:38 PM
It's probably best not to, but it can;t hurt as long as you don't change the older packages.

smartinvestor
12-11-2013, 03:04 AM
In fact some use it as a way to give their campaign a 'boost' and freshen things up a little.

CrowdFundFusion
12-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Backers and lurkers like to see changes and something new, it makes it worth their time to look again and possibly back a project (if they are a lurker) or even increase their pledge pledge - especially if it is a new tier of pledging. New reward tiers overall can be good but as others have pointed out be sure not to irritate current backers by offering a tier that is considered better than the old ones. Safest bet it to add a newer tier in the higher dollar categories so you will lessen the chance of this - usually these are not selected very often anyways so you have nothing to lose if someone decides to pledge to a new 5 or 10K tier.

MadOverlord
07-02-2014, 07:14 AM
IMHO you should qualify the "keep the number of levels small" advice; it should be "keep the number of EFFECTIVE levels small". In my campaign, for example, one of the higher-level perks was an original animation cel, but because each one was unique, I ended up having to create a reward for each (even though the price was the same).

Also, you should not be afraid to create new (higher) levels mid-campaign based on backer suggestions. Often your most enthusiastic backers will suggest something they really want that you hadn't thought of, and you can effectively create a reward just for them.

The downside is that you have to handle more complicated fulfillment logistics; I ended up having to write my own custom solution to handle all the permutations efficiently.

gooss007
07-02-2014, 03:08 PM
I added a new pledge to the list during the campaign. Because there was a request for it. I think you could do it on request.

Johnathan Leow
07-12-2014, 06:23 AM
Yes, checking out the perk packages of similar successful projects are the fastest and most effective way to go. Pebble is a good example. Adapted my perk rewards from them

Michael McMullan
07-12-2014, 01:42 PM
I think having a good selection for rewards is good. As said by others, find a way to appeal to everyone! I know I've had more trouble with higher end rewards because I want those tiers to be worth it to potential backers. There's a lot you can do, so just keep thinking into it. Best of luck.

Marz
07-13-2014, 01:18 PM
wow... all your comments have been extremely helpful... I always wondered how much is too much . Thanks ya'll :D

CrossColoursLA
07-18-2014, 12:06 PM
What is the sweet spot where most people donate?

Robert Hoisan
07-23-2014, 03:05 AM
Yeah i agree it all depends on the project itself. Sometimes the many rewords can look overcrowded.

Inventalator
07-23-2014, 12:32 PM
Too many rewards can make a project look desperate too, trying to distract you from the project itself by offering a ton of goodies.

rickbacoustic
08-08-2014, 08:42 PM
I really struggled to come up with a good mix. I agree that too many choices leads to no selections being made.

BackOrder
08-11-2014, 09:24 AM
I read somewhere that the soft spot is about 9 rewards, give or take. The important is most likely to have distinctive and meaningful rewards.

LeoTekInc
08-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Very interesting point. I think 5-7 is good as one poster said above.

Kiss Péter
08-15-2014, 11:28 AM
If the rewards are straightforward and every user WILL find what they are looking for than its not too much. But if you just believe that everyone CAN find what they are looking for, think again. You need to steer the backer into the right direction and not confuse them.

Venux
08-15-2014, 02:15 PM
I believe that there is a thing as too many rewards packages. Users can become confused if there are too many choices. Unless there is a clear difference between rewards, it's best to keep a shorter amount.

AprilStart
08-16-2014, 07:00 PM
I actually just got done having a conversation with some of my backers about this and the majority of them said that the rewards I was presently offering were enough and that more or too much variety would be distracting and possibly leave them to think about what package they wanted, rather than making the pledge then and there while they were initially on the page.