PDA

View Full Version : Is Facebook About to Enter Crowdfunding? Donate Button

Bobby76
12-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Has anyone read the news (http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2013/12/28568-facebook-just-quietly-enter-crowdfunding-space/) that Facebook is adding a donate button to some posts? For now it's for charities only which have been pre-selected months in advance. One page that has already been accepted, and is permitted to used the "Donate" button is Kiva.org. You can find their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/kiva. Kiva, for those not familiar, is a donation based crowdfunding platform, in fact one of the biggest of such platforms online.

http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/shared/2013/12/Screen-Shot-2013-12-17-at-11.19.38-AM.png

As you can see one of their last posts has the donate button within it. For now, the button will only donate to the company who's page it is on, in this case, a direct donation to Kiva.org. Having said this, Facebook could theoretically progress this new addition in 2 possible ways which would put Facebook right in the middle of the Crowdfunding explosion.

#1 Use the open graph to allow crowdfunding sites to place donation buttons directed towards specific projects on their platform, and have donations for specific projects interact with the platforms database in a way so that those donations are counted towards whatever particular projects the link refers to. This would then allow project managers to utilize the donate button on behalf of the platforms, and spread their reach.

#2 Allow practically anyone to apply for a donation button themselves, meaning that Facebook itself would become a platform for crowdfunding.

Perhaps neither of these 2 possibilities will ever take place, but it is certainly interesting to think about.

admin
12-18-2013, 08:24 AM
See the image above? Look for that post and you will see it.

smartinvestor
12-18-2013, 09:09 AM
I can't see any 'Donate Now' buttons. Is it only on that image? If so I can't see that image, though I haven't scrolled right to the bottom of the page.

Cara@BloomVC
12-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Very interesting. This could be a very smart move for Facebook, if they do become more involved with crowdfunding. It would also benefit crowdfunding platforms and project owners as there would be more traffic if people can directly donate via Facebook.

FlippinGames
12-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Definitely a great idea - Twitter should get on this too!

Crowdfunding-Res
12-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Off...Once I wanted to send a message to a non-friend person and a popup asked me to make a credit card payment, I clicked cancel and the message said 'We're just testing if you'd be likely to pay, thank you for your feedback.' and allowed me to send it for free (as usual). Lol seems they're experimenting quite a bit recently

seanhard
05-19-2014, 02:43 PM
Much better and more useful than the "poke" button.

Salvador Briggman
05-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Haha Yea the poke button is kinda out-dated. I think they removed it from their mobile platform.

James12
05-28-2014, 07:17 AM
it is really a great idea if they are doing this , it will be really helpfull for needys

startingtrends
05-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Being that Facebook is the worlds largest social media platform it would make sense for them to get involved in the crowdfunding space when you think about it.

jambri
06-05-2014, 12:01 PM
As long as it doesn't get abused, I don't see why not.

tonkatsu
06-09-2014, 04:23 PM
I think that's a great idea and I would much prefer to see ads for donation to good charities rather than silly mobile games.

BryantProvencher
08-04-2014, 02:23 AM
It is a great and innovative idea to add cool blue donate button on Facebook. It makes it easy to convert like into donations. Facebook is a better platform for sharing your crowdfunding campaign.

bluecollarfunding
08-05-2014, 08:27 AM
I guess you would say the more the merrier.. However I am sure it would hurt the industry as a whole.

AprilStart
08-16-2014, 06:30 PM
I really hope Facebook is planning to launch this "donate" button for crow funding campaigns. Feedback that I'm constantly getting with my present campaign from FB friends is that it's "too complicated" to donate. Whether that's due to the multiple pages you're sent to after you click on the posted link or just a lack of knowledge of the crow funding site, I am not sure. Regardless, clicking a button would be a much easier and convenient way to donate!

Aleksandra
08-17-2014, 01:54 PM
wow that would be cool but it could mix with the facebook's primary mission which was to connect people

startingtrends
08-17-2014, 03:33 PM
It is a great and innovative idea to add cool blue donate button on Facebook. It makes it easy to convert like into donations. Facebook is a better platform for sharing your crowdfunding campaign.

I agree Bryant, I don't think it's far fetched to say this could be a feature that Facebook may consider integrating at some point.

Inventalator
08-21-2014, 11:49 AM
Would be a great experiment to increase the "validity" of the site form a business perspective. People know those ads don't convert well and this could be a much more successful monetization strategy.

themusicchamber
08-22-2014, 05:46 AM
Ofsourse, Facebook could be a bigger and more successful platform, if they will launch this service, but at this time I think they have only done it for some charity pages and not for all.

Edward Byrne
08-22-2014, 06:42 AM
It is as difficult as anywhere else to get visibility on Facebook despite it's size. (Unless you pay for it of course)

ArtOfTheKickstart
08-24-2014, 08:28 AM
makes sense. they are already beginning to add serious commerce options to pages.

Pepper Carlson
08-24-2014, 11:46 AM
I wish this was already available to everyone! It's hard to reach your FB friends when your posts get lost within minutes falling behind the paid advertisements in the que.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1632640058/rock-your-kicks-the-ultimate-paint-kit-for-canvas

Inventalator
08-24-2014, 04:59 PM
wow that would be cool but it could mix with the facebook's primary mission which was to connect people

They would still be connecting people with similar interests via the projects they would be donating to.

madlywish
08-25-2014, 09:49 PM
Ugh! Facebook. I have such a hard time figuring out how to best utilize it for my business since it changes constantly!!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/142567264/madly-wish-project-swetsy-shop

DMan
09-03-2014, 04:45 AM
Maybe they should just allow people to add the PayPapl donation button to their FB page.

loraine
09-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Very interesting. I have a feeling the crowdfunding arena is going to wind up getting swamped with platforms and it'll wind up doing more harm than good to people trying to raise funds.

MattTheMan
11-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Donate is not the same as crowfunding.
Donate = give money
Pledge = give money and recieive reward / product that will be finished in future

CrowdfundingMarketing
11-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Donate is not the same as crowfunding.
Donate = give money
Pledge = give money and recieive reward / product that will be finished in future

True, but still it's better than a like button. Liking a post won't save lives as good as a donation ;)