PDA

View Full Version : How do the holidays affect Kickstarter Campaigns? Good or Bad?

SWITCH TAPS
12-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Hi Everybody,
Since Christmas is next week, I was curious to see what your thoughts are on if the holidays hurt or help crowdfunding campaigns. Are people too busy to donate or are they traveling or trapped in a house with their families and don't have much to do or talk about and go online and look at new campaigns.

We launched our campaign yesterday(Sorry no project links in this folder) and are off to a slow start. I will report back once I know more. Anybody else launch during the holidays and what was your experience?

admin
12-21-2013, 11:29 AM
My personal opinion is that the holidays probably are NOT the best time to be creating a new crowdfunding project. Most people don't have the money they had just a month ago, as they spent it all on gifts. Also, many people are not in their usual routines, and likely are spending time with family and friends, rather than browsing Kickstarter, Indiegogo, etc. I can tell by the number of projects bringing in over $50k on Kickstarter in the last couple weeks, that this is an extremely dead period of the year. This could be due to the fact that people aren't backing projects, or due to the fact that project creators are waiting until next month to launch their projects. The only positive I can see in listing a project this time of year is that it may stand out a bit more since less projects are being listed in general. It's not the end of the world if you did post your project on Kickstarter recently, but it may not be the most opportune time either.

Good luck :)

CrowdFundFusion
12-22-2013, 10:49 AM
On our site we've noticed a considerable drop in the amount of pledges usually made, so much so that I just did a compare and check to ensure that we weren't missing projects and we're not. So I agree completely with the Admin, the holidays are not the best time.

seeingreen
12-22-2013, 06:09 PM
I have also noticed a major drop in backers on my project right now. I'm hoping that right after Christmas a lot of people will have received Cash for Christmas and be looking for great projects to use it on.

Shane Liddell
12-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Completely agree. This time of the year means people have earmarked their hard earned cash for other things, with family being the most obvious target. I have always advised my customers not to launch campaigns that run through this period. Many have listened, some have not, but I do know that many of them are ready to roll in the new year so it's going to be a busy period for us.

Merry Christmas to all of you and may the New Year bring all your dreams to life!:D

Brandon
12-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Looking at just the traffic (this does not mean dollars raised) on all of the platforms you will see a significant drop. Something in the range of 50%.

valhallions
01-03-2014, 09:06 AM
We launched our project just before Christmas aswell and it has hit us hard. We were hoping to take advantage of the lack of competition to get noticed before all the big players come back after the new year. Time will tell if that was a good idea or not but we did get a few donations so it wasn't completly quiet. Just hang in there and do your best to spread the word :)

middleman
01-04-2014, 08:25 AM
We have actually found the holidays to be a good time to put up our Kickstarter and have almost hit our target in less than two weeks. More of our friends sitting down at computers with time to kill. This is our first crowd source funding attempt though and we have no relative comparison.

Feel free to check us out at:

Edit to remove link

All the best for 2014

M

smartinvestor
01-04-2014, 03:25 PM
We have actually found the holidays to be a good time to put up our Kickstarter and have almost hit our target in less than two weeks. More of our friends sitting down at computers with time to kill. This is our first crowd source funding attempt though and we have no relative comparison.

Feel free to check us out at:

Edit to remove link

All the best for 2014

M

Please feel free to create a thread with your campaign link, and if you wish a video, in the appropriate folder.

Lex
01-21-2014, 01:35 PM
I'd argue that lots of people try to stay clear of the holidays, for better or for worse. We decided to wait until January to post ours, and in the meantime Indiegogo's music listing went from 15 pages to 40+ in just about two weeks.

Guess this just isn't an ideal time in general. :/

Cara@BloomVC
01-30-2014, 12:03 PM
I agree with the comments above - the holidays are not the best time to attract funding. However, it is the perfect time for planning your campaign and priming your community about your upcoming launch.

Best of luck!

settleforlove
11-08-2014, 11:10 PM
The reason I chose to launch my 60 day project now is so that it ends on January 1st 2015. If I happen to get funded I can then write off all of the work I do in 2015. If it ended in late 2014, I'd only have a little bit of time to write off expenses. I guess I'm saying this is just another thing to keep in mind if you are launching a project in November/December.... there are advantages & disadvantages.

I read about a guy who's project ended December 25th and he made like 120k. He then wrote that he had to spend all of that money by December 31st to write it off = Big Mistake. I'm not tax lawyer but this seems like a logical bind.

marisha
11-10-2014, 12:10 AM
If you have a project with pledges that can be good Christmas gifts - then I think it is good to launch it little before the holidays.

Daegard
11-15-2014, 03:15 PM
I guess in the end success might depend on how much homework was done before the launch. But I think crowd funding around Christmas time could probably be not such a good idea. The money gets spent closer to home.

MattTheMan
11-27-2014, 11:25 AM
The opimal time to launch campaing is during april. The worst time for campaings is Nov,Dec,Jan.
Based on kickstarter stats -> http://puu.sh/d7E5d/1a93ccebbe.png

BIKEHUD
12-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Useful feedback

DragonWing
12-06-2014, 10:27 PM
The reason I chose to launch my 60 day project now is so that it ends on January 1st 2015. If I happen to get funded I can then write off all of the work I do in 2015. If it ended in late 2014, I'd only have a little bit of time to write off expenses. I guess I'm saying this is just another thing to keep in mind if you are launching a project in November/December.... there are advantages & disadvantages.

And now that it's December 6... how is your project doing? ;)

uttoransen
12-07-2014, 03:08 AM
Holiday times are the worst for any online venture and crowd funding is no different. All websites goes through a major slow down during this period. It is the time to enjoy with your friends and family, not backing projects!

OKIGOTIT
12-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Did not read these in time...campaign went live on KS at Thanksgiving...ok for about a week...then flat. No amount of pushing over social media/media has made different. Not done until mid-January 2015...so some hope!

Michael Sanders
12-16-2014, 09:48 PM
I've started mine around this time and have a roughly March deadline to make, the timing really can't be helped in my case but I am noticing just from a people I know in person who are not able to donate but are highly interested in the project. So I could see this being a bad time to do so.

Gareth Craven
12-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Brilliant question. It's definitely going to be a mix, it's not all going to in one group. There'll be those who think they've already spent enough money and won't pledge, there's also those that won't be going online much and getting into the Xmas spirit spending time with family and what not. On the brighter side, there's those who'll be in the Xmas spirit, feeling generous and will happily pledge to your project. The list of kinds of people can go on.

In my opinion though, I think it'll be no different. If anything though it's a worse time considering people have already put a lot of money into presents for family and there's no chance of spending more money. Just my opinion though

bensalusart
12-19-2014, 11:55 PM
I launched my first one 5 days ago and I got 108%. I thought a little before and a little after the holidays so people have a bit of cash to spend. I guess it depends on your incentives. In some businesses post new years is good there's a lot of resolutions that require money.

Yaroslav Tsitskiev
12-20-2014, 02:43 PM
I think it can be helpful, cuz you can add special xsmas gift :D

Thebigshibam
12-20-2014, 03:38 PM
I've been noticing it's pretty good, but it's not like people are pounding at the doors of my Kickstarter. At least not yet.

crystalwash
12-30-2014, 07:40 PM
we decide to wait until after the holidays to launch our campaign just due to the fact the people already have their money budgeted for holiday gifts.

StrataMaker
01-02-2015, 02:26 AM
Summer months are terrible times for the average campaign. Too much competition and lack of interest. Maybe the opposite holds true for winter.

Amy Thompson
01-02-2015, 01:46 PM
I think it drives more traffic. More people who have money. Willing to spend and time off. I could be wrong

NEOMO
01-03-2015, 12:17 PM
It's really not a good idea to have a project just before Christmas!! (I'm very regretting now...) People need to spend money to buy present, and your product is surely not able to be delivered to people before Christmas.

MUDER
01-10-2015, 08:11 AM
what we have seen our sites in general especially in christmas times, long holiday times a big decrease in traffic..

as long as you would not sell and idea directly related with the holiday season, I wouldn`t launch any campaign in or just before a long holiday season..

Spiderwebb
01-10-2015, 03:02 PM
I don't know about campaigns specifically, but my Fiverr biz gets a lot of traffic from startups and Kickstarters, but my order count plummeted during the Holidays.

It was kind of funny though, because literally on the monday that most people returned to work, I instantly went from zero pending requests to several in that one day.

So yes, I would say that the Holidays had a huge impact on buisness, at least for me :)

seifip
04-03-2015, 09:08 PM
If you have an existing community, you can capitalize on holidays but organizing a seasonal Xmas/Easter/whatever giveaway on your existing website, requiring users to share the campaign to enter the raffle.

GypsyBella
04-03-2015, 09:24 PM
Holidays like christmas are probably not the best time to start new funding projects because most people will be on limited budgets and their money will be spent on their families

seifip
04-04-2015, 12:16 AM
Holidays like christmas are probably not the best time to start new funding projects because most people will be on limited budgets and their money will be spent on their families

If your campaign is 30 days long though, and you launch around Christmas, your backers won't get charged until a month after so money shouldn't be as much of a problem by then.