Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

How to be successful on Patreon

I conducted interviews 3 separate Patreon creators to get their thoughts on what it takes to be successful on the platform. It yielded some good results! Let me know what you think and if you have any thoughts or comment .

You can find the article here.

My favorite quote from the article:

Create. Don’t create FOR Patreon, create because you love to create and already do create. Understand that the Patreon model for most people involves a small build-up over time. If you don’t already have an established audience, starting up a Patreon campaign will not suddenly give you one, let alone one that is willing to pay money for your work.

Also, make sure that when your campaign goes “live” you already have some patrons. Think of it as a tip jar. Think of the person outside the grocery store playing guitar. Notice that there’s always money in the guitar case already. Even if the person just set up for the day. It is there so others see that it’s not just “ok” to give money, but that they aren’t alone in doing so.
    Crowdfunding Tips: Hidden Content
    Crowdfunding News: Hidden Content

Hi again,

Jay Noggle from the Facebook group wrote this interesting blog on Social Proof and Patreon.

I think he's onto something here.

The way I see it there's two big trust issues a creator using Patreon has to deal with.

1. Your audience needs to trust you - the creator. For those of us producing online content (ie most of us) this is a matter of producing regular doses of quality content so our audience knows we're trustworthy.

2. They have to trust Patreon - and getting people to trust a new technology or solution is never easy. I have no idea how to go about this.

Becka

Both of those articles seem very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Sutton View Post
    Hi again,

Jay Noggle from the Facebook group wrote this interesting blog on Social Proof and Patreon.

I think he's onto something here.

The way I see it there's two big trust issues a creator using Patreon has to deal with.

1. Your audience needs to trust you - the creator. For those of us producing online content (ie most of us) this is a matter of producing regular doses of quality content so our audience knows we're trustworthy.

2. They have to trust Patreon - and getting people to trust a new technology or solution is never easy. I have no idea how to go about this.

Becka
    Agree with what you have listed here.

Augh why didn't i see this thread before i've started my patreon page OTL
    Thanks for the advice guys!

I have to think it helps to have a form of creative expression which doesn't take years to show to everyone. I'm notoriously slow, by the time my current campaign goes well and I publish my first novel, I'll have already written the trilogy and will just need to edit them up to snuff. I tried Patreon and the quickest occurring art I could speak of was concert pic photosets, then manuscripts. Never got a patron. Decided I was not only doing it wrong, but I was doing once-in-a-while big projects where Kickstarter or IG might make more sense.

I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information.

I only heard of Patreon recently, I will read up on it.

This is very helpful Thank you!

How does this Patreon work for backers: if the project is funded over 100% of its goal, does each backer's share gets proportionally diluted with each new backer?