Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Author and Producer Michael Coorlim's Avatar

Patreon for Authors

I'm an author and I joined Patreon a while back. I've actually got two different accounts, and I'll be starting a third, because I have three very different sort of projects.

I've got one for my books.

I've got one for a weekly web serial that I run.

I'm going to set one up for the video web series that my production company is producing, but that's not really germane to this thread.

The patreon I've set up to support my authorship is effectively a way for readers to subscribe to my output. For $3 a title they get an ebook sent to them; for $15 I'll mail out a paperback. They're charged on completion and I send the reward out right away.

I've seen other authors instead allow people to donate by word-count, per 10,000 words (~40 pages). Maybe that's a more efficient way to run it, because so far I've got nothing. I make enough as an author that it's my full time job, so I'm going to assume that this is just a failure on my part to make the Patreon campaign enticing enough.

I probably just don't "get" it.

My other campaign, the one for the web serial, offers a similar deal; pay me every time a story arc concludes, and I'll send you the ebook or paperback collection for that arc.

That one definitely needs to be rethought.

Anyone else use Patreon as an author? What have you tried? What success have you seen?
    Michael Coorlim | Author | Producer at Burning Brigid Media | @mcoorlim

Wow this is good stuff! Thanks for all the great information, I appreciate it!

very good stuff. Thanks for this new information.

I like the look of Patreon, but want to try a lead in through a KS and then Patreon. I also have to suss out those bleedin tax forms for non US folk.

yeah you're right... I am almost depressed that time when no one gave us a single dollar at patreon and that time i really need a money, and it make me blind. After discuss with my assistant, I realized something... We just have to give our best so someone will be believe to give their money to us, now we create as great as we can and make a lot of people enjoy to see our project and gave us fund not in pressure.

for now we doesn't have any patron but we'll never give up to create a great manga
    if you have a break time, you can check our manga link hope you like it... We're fell free if you give some suggestion

Teaming up with a larger publisher?

Hi Michael,

Your pricing seems very fair. Who are you promoting your Patreon campaign to? have you thought about trying to team up with a publisher that could provide you with a larger audience to promote your titles too?

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Coorlim View Post
    I'm an author and I joined Patreon a while back. I've actually got two different accounts, and I'll be starting a third, because I have three very different sort of projects.

I've got one for my books.

I've got one for a weekly web serial that I run.

I'm going to set one up for the video web series that my production company is producing, but that's not really germane to this thread.

The patreon I've set up to support my authorship is effectively a way for readers to subscribe to my output. For $3 a title they get an ebook sent to them; for $15 I'll mail out a paperback. They're charged on completion and I send the reward out right away.

I've seen other authors instead allow people to donate by word-count, per 10,000 words (~40 pages). Maybe that's a more efficient way to run it, because so far I've got nothing. I make enough as an author that it's my full time job, so I'm going to assume that this is just a failure on my part to make the Patreon campaign enticing enough.

I probably just don't "get" it.

My other campaign, the one for the web serial, offers a similar deal; pay me every time a story arc concludes, and I'll send you the ebook or paperback collection for that arc.

That one definitely needs to be rethought.

Anyone else use Patreon as an author? What have you tried? What success have you seen?

Why dont you set up a subscription/monthly format michael.

I've attempted to use Patreon as a way to make money through my writing, but to no avail. However, I might implement some of your techniques into my own.

By the way, i released a WordPress plugin to enable people to place patreon buttons on their WP sites easily. It was received well and works rather good. In case you have a WP site, you can try it:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/patron...s-by-codebard/

well, i will try Patreon as i am crowdfunding for an ebook related project at Indiegogo.

https://igg.me/at/kitaabapp