Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Post 8 Essential Online Crowdfunding Tools

Running a successful crowdfunding campaign takes a lot of hard work and dedication. Even though anyone can start a campaign, some people don’t expect all of the little things they’ll need to figure out for the project to run smoothly. Some planning and research before a campaign can help avoid these issues sooner rather than later.

There are a lot of resources for people looking for ways to manage their crowdfunding campaigns. The Indiegogo Blog post, Tool Time: E-Sources for Crowdfunding Campaigners, lists many of these tools. Here are ten tools from that list that can make your crowdfunding experience at least a little less stressful:

1. Klout

Klout is a website that gives people a 1 to 100 rating for their social media presence. One way that it can be used by creators of crowdfunding projects is to help assess the social media reach of contacts and find influencers in your category. You can integrate Klout with Twitter for free using a Google Chrome extension.

The website also allows you to identify your interests and gives advice on how to increase your social media presence, find relevant articles to share, and suggests people to follow.

2. Outgrow.me

I’ve seen many creators of Kickstarter projects ask what happens after their campaign is over. The Indiegogo Blog post says:

“If your campaign is product-based and you want people to keep discovering it even after your campaign ends, submitting to this site is a good way to keep promoting your business.”

Browsing the site I saw some familiar campaigns. Once you click a campaign it gives you information on the project, pricing, return policy, and makes it easy to choose different options such as color.

3. Google Alerts

Google Alerts allows you to set up email alerts when certain people, things, or keywords are found on the internet. This tool is great for helping you notice when people are mentioning you and to stay up-to-date on the things going on in your area of expertise.

A CrowdCrux post, Finding Your Target Audience Online, suggests that:

“Google alerts are a good way to keep tabs on new content being produced in your target industry. You can use them to generate a list of potential journalists and bloggers that may be willing to write about your crowdfunding campaign. You can also use it to track influencers that have an audience in your target industry.”

4. MailChimp

The Indiegogo Blog describes MailChimp as, “A tool for managing emails to larger lists of addresses as well as designing emails with a more professional look.” This tool has a free option as well as paid ones.

MailChimp offers a lot of useful features, including newsletter updates, subscriber profiles, as well as automation and personalization options. The tool can even suggest when the best time is to send an email!

5. Thunderclap

Thunderclap is a crowd speaking platform that works a lot like crowdfunding does. You decide on a message and a number of people that you want to share it. Once you reach that goal all of those people automatically send out your tweet, giving it a viral effect.

For more on Thunderclap and its competitor HeadTalker, check out my comparison on CrowdfundingPR.org here.

6. Pinstamatic

Pinstamatic is a social media management tool for Pinterest users. Pinterest is good for crowdfunding campaigns when they are very visual – if you have a lot of pictures to share it could be the platform for you.

Many who try to use it seem to find it harder than sites like Twitter (which can be managed with TweetDeck or HootSuite) or Facebook. This tool allows you to diversify your Pinterest board by adding things like quotes, music, and clickable maps.

7. Help a Reporter

Also known as HARO, this service connects reporters with sources who have information or expertise in their subject category. Crowdfunding project creators can use this service to find journalists looking for content who might be interested in covering the campaign.

The HopeFULL Company shared their HARO Success Story:

“Whenever there is something that is relevant to our business in HARO, we respond with a pitch. We’ve gotten featured in local newspapers, on blogs, and in several online news magazines.”

8. USNPL

USNPL is a service that allows you to search for local US media including location, contact information, and social media accounts. This tool can be useful for crowdfunding projects that are important on a local level.

Conclusion

This is just a short list of some of the more useful or interesting tools that can be used by creators of crowdfunding projects to help them succeed. There are many other paid and free services out there, but it is always important to be well informed about your options. Check out track records and reviews of any service you are looking to use, because in some cases they may not be worth your time or money.

What’s your favorite crowdfunding tool? Share any comments or experiences below!
    Community Manager - CrowdCrux.com

I must admit I knew social media was huge to the success of a campaign but didn't realize how much more would have to be done. Thought I could just post 1 time and things would take off. Huge mistake. Thanks for the info.
    Daryl Madison

Social Media and Media outreach are just two of the best strategies for crowdfunding. thank you for sharing this tools. Just want to share followerwonk.com to find industry influencer in twitter.

strong23 - No problem! It definitely takes a lot of effort over time and persistence to find new ways to spread your project to more people. Unfortunately with the crazy amounts of stuff that gets posted on social media one post often goes virtually unnoticed. That's why Thunderclap's great because if a bunch of people post something at once it's a little less likely to be ignored.

sarahardy - Thanks for sharing! I've never heard of that one, but looks like it has a lot of useful tools and some popular clients (Skullcandy, IMAX, etc.).
    Last edited by therriaultk; 11-04-2014 at 02:06 PM.
    Community Manager - CrowdCrux.com

Love MailChimp
    Hidden Content - Crowd R&D for Tech Products

Click Hidden Content and use access code - crowdfundingforum - to join our community instantly!

OMG so good. thx.

Mailchimp is good, but I'm thinking of switching to Aweber. As your list grows, Aweber seems to be more affordable.
    Crowdfunding Tips: Hidden Content
    Crowdfunding News: Hidden Content

Holly Smokes lots of stuff totally unaware off... one of the most useful posts... awesome Thanks

This is a great list. I use Aweber though instead of mailchimp ...

I have used HARO in the past, it is not the easiest way to get featured in media - but surely if one is persistent then HARO works. It hadn't worked for me though, i have pitched over and over but never got much results,

thanks,
    Uttoran Sen,
    Hey, am Uttoran Sen, the CEO and Co-founder of Hidden Content - a Crowd Speaking platform.
    We Promote every Crowd Funding Campaign on our Hidden Content . Hidden Content now and Get Funded!

Even more affordable than Aweber is Sendinblue...

Also, instead of Google Alerts, you should look into Mention. Awesome software to track, well, mentions of your project all over the net.
    Back Fluent Panda on Kickstarter — Hidden Content - Hidden Content