Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Learn from my mistake!

Here I want to introduce you the history of the startup! I think the article will be interesting and useful for you!
    This story is not about me!

Hello!

Iím new here and launched my first Kickstarter campaign a few days ago. I just wanted to tell you my story. My mistake is quite obvious, but maybe I can still help someone here.

My product is a game for a very specific group of people. The target audience is relatively small, but usually enthusiastic and active. Iím the sole creator, so Iíve been working on the assets and demo for a couple of months. I finally finished it and showed it to everyone I knew. Let me add that Iím from Poland, so there was a very slight chance my friends would back me up. But at the time it wasnít important. All the people who saw it told me how funny and awesome it was. So, I thought, ďWoah, I have a really good product, time for KickstarterĒ. Oh, how wrong I was.

Even if you have a great product, it doesnít matter if no one has ever heard of it. When I launched the campaign, I had one US-based partner with a big Fb page, so I thought I was all covered. But when I saw the results the next day, I was horrified. Not that it was my partnerís fault. They were doing awesome, advertising on their Fb page. It was MY fault. I didnít build up my community.

Now, Iím doing better. I started spreading the word and actually talking to people I didnít know before. My supporters are the kindest people in the whole world. When I hear them praise the game, I feel itís all been worthwhile. But I wish I had done it before. Now I work all the time, just writing to places/people. I could have done it gradually and at peace. But next time, Iíll do better. I do want to make games all my life from now on.

This is it. I hope my experience will help someone here. The campaign's link is in my signature.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...i-visual-novel

Hi John!

Am liking your project and the sketches!

Well mistakes happen all the time, in fact every success story has at least 100s of mistakes in their past.

Take it as a learning process and evolve, not allowing the mistake to occur again.

Best of luck!

Great animation! Wish you the best of luck. I have an animation project as well and it is a challenge!

Best of luck as well!

Oh yeah, I'm definitely in your boat right now. I launched with ZERO following and after making $250 in the first few days I thought, "neat, looks like I won't have to advertise after all!" WRONG. I actually LOST money one day due to nobody backing and somebody cancelling their pledge. That was the real wakeup call. Now I'm here learning about networking and promotion strategies and it's a little overwhelming but I'm sure if I keep reading and learning on this forum I'll be able to make my goal.

I'd wish you luck but it looks like you've made it! So instead I'll say congratulations!

How does this lose money? Wouldn't it just be zero?

It would be, but people can cancel pledges and I lost $102 yesterday due to cancellations. I've uploaded a new video so that backers can see who I am and I've also begun actually marketing the game so hopefully that's the last negative day my campaign sees!

I see. You mean that the total pledge amount went down, and you did not mean that you had to pay money back.

I see the thread starter has done very well with his campaign, despite the initial slow start.

$9,036 pledged of $5,000 goal
    328 backers

Thanks for sharing. Something to learn from, great perseverance to push past your funding goal despite the start. Inspiring.