Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using influencers for exposure

Hello all

Really need your help and advice. I'm looking to launch a Kickstarter soon in the fashion industry and I believe it's a good idea to enlist the help of fashion influencers. Some charge reasonable fees, however, some charge fees in 1000s of dollars. Do you think it's worth spending this? Has anyone used any of the big influencers before to increase exposure? I'm just worried that spending so much will create a loss even if they do bring pledges. I would require a large number of pledges from those influencer visitors just to cover their exposure expense. Any advice will be appreciated Thanks.

This post has been moved to the General Crowdfunding Questions + Discussion section.

What kind of exposure are we talking? Media outlets and such?

To get an influencer on board will undoubtedly help a campaign - but unless you're connected or in the know it's a tough thing to pull off. We explored this idea, only because we see it as a quick easy win - but soon learnt it was a waste of energy - unless you we're going to commit money up front. We've learnt that the best thing you can do with your time and money is to put it to work building a community of like minded people and backers in advance of the project launching. Over time, if you do multiple projects, you'll eventually end up with a large database of people you can tap into straight out the door when you launch.

Yes, getting an influencer on board is an easy win, you are right. I contacted almost all that I possibly could in my industry and here are three things that I concluded:

1) You need to know the influencer (be connected). They don't work with everyone. A few replied - most didn't.

2) Those that did reply required fees. Starting from 250 - 25000. Yes, 25000.

3) Most of the big fashion influencers are not keen on kickstarter projects because if the projects do not come through, it's their reputation on the line.

You are right, it's best to spend time building up a community of people who love the product and then launch the kickstarter - unfortunately, that takes months. Having an influencer onboard would be a faster option.

I think you really have to look at the influencer ranking, number of followers and is it a good match for your brand. You also want access to the number of followers they might have but you also want their validation (endorsement of your campaign. Look at what you would feel comfortable offering then create a list of the top ten influencers you would like to target. Make that offer to all in separate emails within a deadline. More than likely you will receive multiple acceptance emails. From there just choose the right fit. I suggest you craft your own offer though based on what you feel comfortable paying.

To connect with an influencer takes time that's for sure.

All you need to do is turn it around - if someone contacted you at your work, as you to work for them (for free I guess) - would you do it? Of course not. If it was a family member or friend, then sure - you probably would. For you to become less of a stranger to them, involves connecting over time and listening to their needs.

- If they wrote about a similar campaign in the past, explain why yours is better/different.
    - Get a prototype in their hands
    - Make the writing process easier by getting your press materials readily available.

Probably the most important thing, is show respect. Don't bother or hassle them. If they don't reply or aren't interested, that's it...try someone else. But if you do your research beforehand, be friendly and approacable then I don't see why you wouldn't have a better chance of getting an influencer to feature you.

Best of luck.
    Hidden Content - Free diagnostic tool, run your Campaign url today

Just wondering if giving these influencers a commission with the sale of traffic they send to you is worth it?
    It wouldn't be worth bringing them in the beginning when you initially launch as the discounts are too steep but closer to the third or fourth week? Their followers would get a discount code they could use with a link connected to this influencer.

I personally think so. Offer them monetary gain along with some other value added incentives. Maybe try to connect the incentives to your product or company. Research a template of how to write to influencers. I agree with one of the earlier posts too that you should join those communities and start contributing. That is one way you can build credibility to your brand.

Sounds good in practice but as an influencer I *wouldn't* accept that offer, why would anyone else?

The terms are dictated by you, if you don't reach your goal - you probably won't pay out and what tracking system would you be using. Also, it's dependant on trust so unless you know the influencer well, there's no guarantees at all...Best of luck with your idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
    Just wondering if giving these influencers a commission with the sale of traffic they send to you is worth it?
    It wouldn't be worth bringing them in the beginning when you initially launch as the discounts are too steep but closer to the third or fourth week? Their followers would get a discount code they could use with a link connected to this influencer.
    Hidden Content - Free diagnostic tool, run your Campaign url today