Are 'cheap' videos still effective?

Hey all,

I've just launched my kickstarter campaign to raise money for me to be able to write a comprehensive website design course. I'm a designer by 'trade' and have a heap of experience. That being said, my video creation skills aren't amazing.

I've looked at people like Neil Patel, who puts together really simple video 'pitches' that seem to work, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience running campaigns with relatively 'cheap' videos and still had an effective result?

Equally I've seen some really awesome projects with huge pledge amounts, but their videos are professionally done.

Would love to hear feedback.

Although you may find successful campaign with poorly designed videos, still a professional video is a safe bet. It is a fact that high res images can make a difference, so why would you take chances with a low quality video.

Heads up, you will need to think of something for your course to stand out. There are so many web design courses that don't get funded because they all offer the same thing.

Yes, High Quality videos grab viewers attention more effectively , but if you have an average video that adequately shows what your project is , while being interesting, I believe you can get backers.

It depends on what you mean by cheap. You can get away with spending very little money, but that means you'll be spending a lot of time. Even the 30 video I put together for my campaign, which I spent literally zero dollars on, took me about 30 hours. I don't think it's driving any conversions, I made mistakes in the voiceover, and I don't think the messaging is what I need it to be. That said, it looks great, and I do think it's better to have a video--even an imperfect one--than none at all.