Do the manufacturing yourself

After having read thousands of product/hardware campaigns, and hundreds of comments in each one, the most common error of "successful" campaigns I see is:

1. Farming out the manufacturing.

2. Trying to deliver all products at once.

For #1: Getting an outside "manufacturer" interested in doing any real work for you means having 3 to 10 of their people scheduled for weeks to months. That is a huge order; not a $50k order. Most injection molding orders are not taken seriously if less than $1 million USD. And that's just the one molded part; it does not include any other parts, or assembly, etc. Yes, you will get "interest" and quotes for much less, but that's because they don't have any customers, and they have very little experience to go with it. Leave these people to the big manufacturers that can take a chance on a startup, and can even help the startup learn how to manufacture properly.

So unless you have a multi-million dollar campaign, try to do the "manufacturing" (I call it "building") yourself. Hire the local help, start building things, and figure out how to make it work properly. Your workers/helpers will then be there for your next campaign, and all the profit that would have gone to a manufacturer now goes to your people.

For #2: Anyone with any experience in any manufacturing, marketing, or retail knows that you never ever start full-force on day one. You instead do a "soft start" or "test-start", where the product is made slowly, and shipped to only a few people, so that problems can be found and corrected before you make and ship more. You can do this by creating several tiers of rewards/perks, with the first ones being only a few products, but delivered sooner. Then the later rewards/perks can be more per month, because the builders/helpers that you hired and trained are now getting faster and more reliable.

Hope that helps

Thanks for giving me the useful information.
    Thanks for the best blog. it was very useful for me.keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. Thanks for giving me the useful information.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Good post but I have to say that there are a lot of manufacturers around the world who will take on small jobs.
    The cost per product is a little higher of course so you have to ensure the product will still hit your retail price points but that goes without saying.
    Most projects just can't be home made because they need to look and feel retail ready and if you have a computerized gadget you will need to know how to install and program a motherboard.
    There are products you can home make and if practical then yes it's a good way to go if you also have the time outside of your day job
    3D printers are pretty affordable these days so I guess you could use one of these for making pre production samples etc.
    Just my pennies worth!
    eMinnow - the worlds first motorized fishing lure: Launching Weds 12th April - Kickstarter
    Hidden Content

Well, I guess I was saying to design the product in the first place, so that you can do it yourself.

aww, deep and valuable information!

thanks,