The Value of Facebook (Likes = Presence)

So a friend of mine contacted me about six months ago on his Indiegogo campaign. He spent quite a bit of time on his video, had a voice actor paid as his own voice often comes across as someone talking to you while they are chewing a cat (his words); and even got all his press releases out. He launched his campaign, and his product was pretty useful. Within the first couple of hours he reached 20% of his goal and was confident he would be successful.

Misguided confidence is the Achille's heel of many an entrepreneur.

With only 2 weeks left he barely broke 50% of his goal and was in scramble and did everything possible (including post it on here) to try to make his goal. When the clock reached 0 he was well short of his goal, and if he sees this post, he can tell you the exact numbers.

He reached out to me and asked me to give his campaign a look and give him feedback. Now, I don't normally do it for free as it's a big part of my livelihood while I get my own project off the ground; but I also like to learn from the mistakes of others so I don't make the same mistakes.

As I said, on the surface, everything looked fine. His goal wasn't too big, his website was up and running, he was doing regular updates, and he was active in several forums related to his product. Then I came across his Facebook page.

56 Likes.

Now, FB likes are a matter of contention for people. Some people say that likes don't mean anything and really don't weigh much. I would argue that there are three reasons people say this:

1. People are assuming that all likes are created equal.

2. People don't know how to get likes and so belittle it to justify having low numbers.

3. Someone else told them they weren't important and they believed it.

1. First, all likes are NOT created equal. Likes from friends and family are only so beneficial. I would argue that your friends and family who would support your campaign are already going to support your page, regardless of whether they throw your page a thumbs up or not. Second, and I can't stress this enough: BOUGHT LIKES ARE DETRIMENTAL, NEVER DO IT!!! They may seem like the easy way to go, but purchasing likes from some mill that promises you likes packages is just going to give you bots; fake accounts that will never engage, never support you, and could even get your page banned by FB. If I'm on your page, and your posts don't have any likes, but you have 2k followers, I'm going to be skeptical and probably leave. True, I'm probably looking at it closer than half the people out there, but how many real potential backers do you have to lose to make purchasing fake likes worth it? If your page gets banned, Murphy's law says it's gonna happen in the middle of your campaign which will sour people faster than a box of WarHead candies in your mouth all at once.

2. Every contact is a potential customer, period. So to say that a potential backer isn't important shouldn't make sense to anyone. At what point in trying to reach your goal would you ever say that reaching out to as many potential customers isn't important? There have been plenty of campaigns that get within just a few dollars of their goal that could have been reached that it should baffle and serve as a lesson for anyone who thinks that engaged likes don't make a difference.

3. When I got engaged my mom called me to give me marital advice. I listened to it, all the while laughing my tailbone off. She's been divorced more times than most small cities so unless she was going to tell me what not to do, the thought that she would have any kind of expertise in the matter was nothing less than comical. The same is true in business advice. Everyone has opinions, but not everyone's opinion is created equal. When Pebble, the largest success story on Kickstarter attributes a large part of their success to their hundreds of thousands of likes, Amazon doesn't go an hour without posting on their dozen fb pages, and every fortune 500 company has staff hired to do nothing but manage their fb accounts; taking weight away from the importance of a solid fb presence makes as much sense as going to a homeless person for stock tips.

For me, it's no different. I slowed down the launch of SPoE until we break at least 100k likes on FB. Honestly, I'm contemplating going much higher. At the time of this article, I just broke the 8k mark and should reach 10k before the day is over.

So before you write off FB and launch, spend a couple of minutes and ask yourself why you wouldn't want to give yourself every chance to be a success instead of a statistic.

I have 100k FB followers yet can't make our crowdfunding campaign produce sales - even though it was very well received by a lot of people in our niche. But of course, our product isn't something ground-breaking, but still quite unique. Obviously, the less of an existing social media base you have, the more innovative your product needs to be.