unusual crowdfunding problem

I just launched a crowdfunding campaign and have what is probably an unusual problem. I talked to a lot of people in our niche in advance and everyone thought very highly of the idea/project. Did a small pre-launch on our FB page (100K followers) and more than 30 people sent us a message saying they would like to buy. Very good for a small status update. 12 ended up doing so (this was out of just 80 visits to the campaign page.

Extremely encouraging conversions didn't seem to be a problem.

Now it seemed just to be a question of whether or not I could attract enough traffic. Next day we launch the campaign, again on our FB page it results this time in 1400 visits, and just one sale. Lots of traffic terrible conversion.

The exact opposite of before.

I thought maybe it's because the campaign page didn't deliver what people expected but then again, why did those 12 people order from the same page the day before. So that can't be it.

Despite that, probably out of desperation, I have boiled down the very long campaign page to just the essentials now, removed big ticket perks just to make things very simple. It's actually still getting traffic from yesterday's post, although not so much but still no conversions. Now I don't know if I should try again with the boiled down sales page or wait and find someone to help who specializes, and has a proven track record, in crowdfunding copy/conversion. The only problem is I have very little budget to work with. Right now everything seems impossible and I'm starting to get very desperate at the thought that the project I have worked on for 6 months - without a regular job on the side may ultimately fail.

Any thoughts or maybe a recommendation of someone who can help would be highly appreciated. I am of course aware no one can fix my problem based on what I have written here, but I didn't know what else to do.

Hi Martin - what's your campaign?

There's actually no longer a need to look at the campaign as I was able to solve the problem and it's now doing very well.

But I'll just share the details as I think it's an important point. To make a long story short, I took my product description and fleshed it out more - that was important I believe, but not the most important thing. I think the next step is what did the trick. I took that new copy and posted it straight on our Facebook page (in very long form) along with the product photo. Basically I moved where the "selling" takes place from Indiegogo to Facebook. I also didn't even post the campaign link in that Facebook post. Instead I posted a link to our blog where I made very explicit instructions how to order (for example if you are on a smartphone, PC, etc as some of our fans (our crowd is not particularly young) aren't that savvy when it comes to technology.

The difference has been absolutely astounding:

Before we sent 1500 visitors to the Indiegogo campaign and had zero sales
    The next 1500 visitors have resulted in roughly 230 backers (since this Monday) and still going strong.

It's kind of incredible to me that changes like this literally can make a difference between all or nothing.

Hi! It's a cool tip for the future crowdfunding campaigns. There are too much information for people now. So you have some seconds only to generate the interest of your audience. Potential gains must be clear explained.
    Thank you for sharing your experience!

You're welcome. I was actually listening to these podcasts by some of these guys doing huge launches. One said "your conversion rate doesn't really matter".

Yes, if you have a product that sells large numbers which for example also has an accompanying viral video (you know those that get seen by tens of millions) then you can say your conversion rate doesn't really matter (because it's with that many visitors lots are just curious because of the video they saw on FB) - but for the majority of small-time launches like mine for example, that's just terrible advice.

Conversion literally means everything! My product didn't convert and the first thing I did was to try and pinpoint why and fix that. If I had paid attention to this guy I'd just have kept on promoting and gotten nowhere.

Also, what I didn't mention is that I did a small pre-launch where I asked people to send me a message if they wanted a discount. 30 people did and out of those 30 around 15 ordered. Those 15 who ended up not ordering I sent a message that I called a brief "survey" basically getting them to say why they decided not to order. It was just one message from an older lady who made me realize that she hadn't fully understood what the product was about which gave me the idea to change the way I had structured the marketing, as described above.