How big will the crowdfunding be in 20 years?

Where do you see crowdfunding in 20 years? Will it still be as unknown as it is, or perhaps become big or even gone? What you think?

Honestly, I think it'll be the same way it is now.

I think it will continue to grow but not so rapidly. It is my personal belief that a lot of offerings are not following best practices. And it is going to take a while for the industry as a whole to start doing that.

I also think it will eventually grow to include direct online public offerings.

If there is anyone else who has an interest in doing direct online public offerings, for others, or for themselves, I would would encourage them to contact me.

In my view, crowd funding will continue to evolve. And perhaps someday become a significant asset class for people with a little bit of cash which they can play around with in a high-risk - high-return investment.

For crowd-funding to mature and become a popular investment option, there will have to a greater awareness of entrepreneurship and that the only way the game can be played is to invest in many, of which only a few would survive and may be one or two would give you disproportionate returns that justify the investment.

As investors start getting more aware and accepting of the failure rates, crowd-funding will start getting wider acceptance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavender View Post
    In my view, crowd funding will continue to evolve. And perhaps someday become a significant asset class for people with a little bit of cash which they can play around with in a high-risk - high-return investment.

For crowd-funding to mature and become a popular investment option, there will have to a greater awareness of entrepreneurship and that the only way the game can be played is to invest in many, of which only a few would survive and may be one or two would give you disproportionate returns that justify the investment.

As investors start getting more aware and accepting of the failure rates, crowd-funding will start getting wider acceptance.
    I think I can relate with what you are saying, but for some reasons I can't just see these happening as soon as 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubbster View Post
    Haha.. Fair enough. But can you explain why you think so?

Quote Originally Posted by Grubbster View Post
    Well. Statistics says that crowdfunding goes up constantly. The crowdfunding industry is doubling or more, every year, so I think that this trend will continue.

he World Bank estimated that crowdfunding would reach $90 billion by 2020. If the trend of doubling year over year continues, we’ll see $90 billion by 2017.
    To put that in perspective, venture capital averages roughly $30 billion per year and in 2014 accounted for roughly $45 billion in investment, whereas angel capital averages roughly $20 billion per year invested.
    Equity crowdfunding, the newest category of crowdfunding, opened up publicly in September of 2013 under Title II of the JOBS Act and, while restricted to accredited investors only, has grown to an estimated $1 billion invested online. In 2015 the estimate is for over $2.5 billion to be invested through equity crowdfunding.
    If equity crowdfunding doubles every year like the rest of crowdfunding has, then it could reach $36 billion by 2020 and surpass venture capital as the leading source of startup funding.

I think people used to trade in goods. Now we trade with money, but really we should move back to a system more like goods, or time and services. I think currency would be much better used for voting systems on art, and projects like those that seek crowdfunding!

I don't know about 20 years, but if equity crowdfunding doubles every year like the rest of crowdfunding has, then it could reach $36 billion by 2020 and surpass venture capital as the leading source of startup funding.