How important are family and friends for a crowdfunding project?

Hi everyone from Crete! We are launching our crowdfunding campaign for two weeks and there is no activity yet. We are wondering if this is happening because we don't have family or friends to support us on the beginning. Is this a serious fact which determines the final result of the campaign? Or can we overcome it by doing paid promotion on social media? We believe on our project, we offer quality services and interesting activities and the most important we respect people and the enviroment. We are on the beginning, please take a look at our campaign here http://bit.ly/asterionascretanhouse and write your opinion to us. We renweded our perks. The advertisement budjet is limited. So every help is welcomed and every advice and of course every lovely donation! You are our family, friends, relatives, you are everything to us now!
    Thank you very much!
    Hara

I think that friends and family is one of the most important things for an initial launch. People are statistically less likely to support a campaign that has no money already in it, which is why it's important to reach out to personal connections and start out with a bang.

I agree with jzeller. I think that's a big reason why most articles with tips on how to have a successful crowdfunded fundraiser suggest reaching out to family and friends first. It also helps with legitimizing the fundraiser, in my opinion, as once family and friends have started donating because they are supportive of the cause others can see that and will be more willing to support your fundraiser.

THis is good advice, This is probably why my fundraiser has not been gaining traction as well.

Telling your campaign to a large number of people is the most difficult task you will face in crowdfunding. Ideally, the promoters should be people who themselves have invested in your project and are counting on its success. It is also desirable to attract friends and family: together you can talk about the project in social networks

Family and friends has a big effect on Kickstarter, provided that you have a good relationship with them. When you do, they are willing to help enhance your Kickstarter by backing you.