Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Hi all,

Let me start off by saying that Morningstar's post contains a lot of cold, hard, truth and is in fact very informative to those new to the crowdfunding arena.

Let's put things into perspective here. What most people don't seem to realize is that crowdfunding is a full time job for project creators (and their teams) for the duration of their campaigns. Many have unrealistic expectations, with some thinking that once the launch button is clicked, then the money will just come rolling in while they sit back watching. Many don't even have a promotional budget to start with, and in my opinion, these people should not be crowdfunding in the first place. Utilizing crowdfunding for 100% of funds needed can never be seen as a wise move. Would you approach another financial institution on this basis and expect them to carry all of the risk in your proposed project? No? Then why do people expect the 'crowd' to do the same? Does investing $98 in a marketing/promotional service = hundreds of $'s in contributions? Of course not. If it was so simple then we could say that these promotional companies (including my own) would hold the "holy grail" of crowdfunding success in their hands. Would they want to share it with anyone? Not likely!

I leave you with a quote from an e-mail we send out to all of our clients:

"The success of a campaign is dependent on several factors of which the 'crowd' decides if the project is worth backing. Please consider that if we could 100% guarantee the success of projects, we'd certainly change our business model to one which solely created crowdfunding projects of our own."

Crowdfunding never will be easy. Those who succeed will tell you that it involves a lot of planning, luck, time & effort and in some cases, sleepless nights. However, there are many "Do's" and "Don'ts" in the crowdfunding world. Knowing these is what separates the good from the bad.

Best of luck to you all!

Shane
    Last edited by Shane Liddell; 10-21-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    Shane Liddell
    CEO
    Smart Crowdfunding LLC
    Hidden Content

Below is the comment I left on CrowdfundInsider.com who reported on this thread.
    Wanted to share view with the crowd:

The key to minimizing dissatisfaction amongst project creators who choose to hire a crowdfunding consultant is setting the proper expectation. There is a fine line between encouraging people to purchase consulting services and setting false expectations for what will result.
    Ultimately the campaign owner must take a fair share of responsibility for the success or failure of their campaign but it is important for consulting firms to be upfront with success rate data and to level-set expectations of the services being provided.
    Anyone who believes that a $99 service will guarantee the success of their project is quite frankly being a fool. Consulting and Social Media services can bring the traffic but if the campaign is not compelling, it will not happen. Regardless of the skill the consultant brings to the table.
    Howard Orloff
    Crowdfunding-Website-Reviews.com
    Howard Orloff
    Founder
    Hidden Content
    Want to Promote Your Crowdfunding Project?
    Post a FREE Ad that appears on our homepage

I agree 100% with CrowdfundingSiteRevews. Here is what I wrote on the referenced thread -

"I had a few thoughts I would like to add to the discussion. The first is the type of traffic we send. All of our traffic for each of our clients is specific to that client. This means that we do not have a general or generic traffic source that we share across our client base. Traffic we send to a project either read and clicked on a Tweet about the project, a Facebook post about the project or the press release about the project. This is extremely targeted traffic. They were interested enough to click through the post and read more.

Not all projects are going to convert well. We offer conversion consulting with our $98 service but even this level of service has limits. The limits are due to the fact that we did not come up with the original idea or produce the video and other supporting content.

With that said we have started to turn away projects where we feel are not a good fit for our service. One of the first things I look at when I am assessing a project is whether or not the project manager has contributed to a project. I am seeing more and more people launch crowdfunding campaigns but they have not backed any other projects. They have not even backed their won project. This is a huge red flag to me. I have learned that this type of crowdfunder may have unreal expectations about crowdfunding and about the effect our services will have on their project.

The other thing I look for is how many referrals they have sent their project and how do their conversions look. People typically contact us a few days after they launch so the numbers are typically there. If they have sent a few hundred people to their own project but the conversions are low then a service like ours may not help. If your friends and family and your own contacts are not backing your idea then it may be difficult to get strangers to do so.

If I look at a project that has one or both of these issues then I really want to have a deeper conversation with the project manager about their goals and expectations. Our service is very effective in sending qualified and targeted traffic to a project. If the project does not click with people then there is very little we can do to help. If the project does click with people then the additional traffic is going to convert at a very high rate. We do everything possible to help out clients exceed their goals."

CrowdFundBuzz
    In reply to your comment "I never heard from you. You have decided that instead that this should be a public discussion so I am here."

I was a bit surprised by your response as you seem to have the sequence of events confused, which might be misleading to those reading this thread.

In the minimal interaction I had as a client, I only dealt with two people in your company: The very ineffective 'account manager' and you (the founder of Crowdfund Buzz). In the end I was corresponding with you personally and you were the one to ignore me completely for weeks until my project expired. After this I posted this article on my website in response to which you contacted me the same day to offer the refund and promotion of a future project (the email you refer to above). Hence, this review is what it took to elicit a response and this was your first contact with me since my last plea for assistance while still a paying client. If it helps I will gladly post the email here you sent on 21 September in which you confirm having seen this review on my website (posted 21 September) and then offering me compensation in the form of a refund and future promotion of a project.

Based on your company's total lack of interest up until that point I had no interest in dealing with Crowdfund Buzz any further. Simply refunding me definitely does not rectify the time wasted and if it had been people in your employment who were at fault (as you implied earlier) I would have been open to discussing the issue with you, but seeing as it was you personally (the Founder) who was responsible for the poor service I received, I did not see the point in even pursuing the matter. Based on the poor service I received I also have no intention of using Crowdfund Buzz for anything in the future, even if it had been for free and therefore I had nothing further to ask you.

I hope this clarifies my reaction and if not, allow me to explain it using a simple analogy;

You pay someone to clean your home windows for a month and they never show up to do so and never answer your calls. You then place a small add in the local newspaper warning other of this scam. The window cleaners then realize that this could affect their business and they contact you to offer you your money back as well as a free month of service. Would you seriously thank them for the refund and take them up on this offer or even correspond with them further if you had already been ignored this long and knew you could not rely on them providing the service?

Perhaps someone else would be more forgiving, personally I don't appreciate businesses or people wasting my time.

Finally, you chose to reply to this thread after the fact so implying that I decided to make this a public discussion 'instead' is incorrect.

jdvos_com Your insistence on calling our service a scam is wrong. We did deliver the service. We can not make people back your project. That is impossible. I am sorry you were not satisfied with our service and that your project was not successful but continuing to call our service a scam is not accurate.

My offer to help you with future projects still stands. My first piece of advice is to back other projects on Indiegogo before you launch your project. Indiegogo makes it very easy to see a project manager's stats http://www.indiegogo.com/individuals/4259068

Launching a project without backing any other projects sends a very bad message. To me it says that the project manager is happy to accept help from others but has never contributed to the community.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind should I ever consider using crowd funding again.

As for not backing other campaigns 'sending a bad message', keep in mind that this is a conservation initiative and that literally every penny counts. This is a non profit project and it is still ongoing and has received support from a large number of notable organisations, companies and members of the conservation community. I agree completely that it would probably have been in our interest to invest a bit in order to get more support, but seeing as this was my first go at Crowdfunding and I was less than convinced by its potential it is honestly not something I even considered (like thousands of others I'm sure). Quite a poor 'subtle' attempt at trying to discredit me though.

jdovs I did not mean to sound like I was tying to discredit you. I wrote the same advice here http://crowdfundingforum.com/showthr...wdFunders-Make

I appreciate how passionate you are about your projects. I feel the same way about helping crowdfunders. I know we can work together on future successful projects. Please contact me when you are ready to start another project.

Thanks Matt, I appreciate it and will definitely keep in touch as I'm still coming to grips with Crowd Funding.

As with all new things I understand that a comapny like Crowdfund Buzz has its growing pains and I'm sure discussions like this one not only helps companies grow for the better, but also help users educate themselves on all facets of this new funding platform so I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

This discussion has definitely helped. We have already made improvements based off of your feedback.

jvdos_com and others,

let me just add my 50 cent on this whole discussion. I was searching for a marketing company to help get the word out about my campaign based on my busy schedule and that was when I found Crowdfund Buzz. Now, this company seemed legitimate because they had all these recent proof of success stories. So I was interested and because my campaign was ticking I decided to purchase their services. I chose the $149 USD package and wow it cost a lot of money, but I thought it would help me do justice. I did not make any payments at the time because I had a query. I received an email roughly 1 hour after from some fellow asking why I signed up but did not make the purchase and then I replied that I wanted further information. After that there was no response for hours.

I was a little curious why after I asked that question no response. So then I decided to change around my question and told them that I am interested in purchasing the service but am not sure which is the right package to select. Interestingly after 1 hour the person responded and told me the $149. I said thank you and I proceeded to purchase the software.

The introduction was quite pleasant I must say, and they made me feel special as a customer. There was another from my ‘consultant’ informing me of what needed changes. Those changes were made and he wrote as follows:

I’m happy to hear you made all of those changes I suggested. We’ll move ahead in promoting your campaign to the very best of our ability and help you raise as much money as possible.

I received two different emails, and one from info@crowdfundbuzz.com asking me to review the article they wrote. As I read the article I was a little startled that pretty much everything I wrote on Indiegogo was copied and pasted with a little bit of rewording. The article was also a little jumbled and made not much sense. So I reworded the article to my liking and finally it made sense, I emailed it to some persons at the abovementioned email address and they liked it and so it was sent off. I received another email informing me that once the article has been published then I would receive an email from them. It is now 4 weeks and still no official email of the articles being published. How I got a response was when I started to become very annoyed at the unresponsiveness. As a result, I sent an email to my ‘consultant’ informing me that it was week 3 and still no update about the articles that were approved. See below from me:

This is just outright sloppy. It's almost 3 weeks and still no results. Then you're going to inform me that nothing is guaranteed? So what was the invested funds in your business for, charity? That makes absolutely no sense. You guys really need to get your act together…

No updates, nothing. Not even a phone call. Just a sloppy email on no guarantee. I checked Google for roughly 3 weeks now and all I see are some approved articles on the first and second page of Google. These have been approved for over 3 weeks ago, what about the others?

My patients is running extremely low…

My ‘consultant’ informed me that there seemed to have been some miscommunication because firstly the statistics link was supposed to be sent to me. Also he informed me that my article was published on SbWire and he directed me to the link. See email as follows:

It seems there’s been some lapse in communication here. Your press release was published right after you approved it on February 27th.

You can view the press release here.

The funny thing about this is that the article was published a few days after I purchased the service in the first week and I had happened to see this in the Google’s search. Yet no email was sent to inform me as a customer of the update the entire time. So that a huge strike drawn because initially an email was sent to inform me that I would be sent an email the minute the articles were published. I was also informed by the ‘consultant’ that they don’t send email updates. Very strange because the other staff members from info@crowdfundbuzz.com informed me that they would send an update once the articles have been published.

The second strike was this, as I do share your sentiments- no results at all. Fine, I just decided to ask my ‘consultant’ on an update and I received the following email:
    There’s no single answer as to why your campaign isn’t getting more action. Your press release was sent to every journalist who covers crowd funding and/or the type of project you’re doing. It’s impossible to predict what a member of the media decides to do with your press release – they can pick it up and run with it, contact you for an interview or ignore it – the decision is entirely theirs.

We also promote your press release (and your campaign itself) to our 22,000+ followers on Twitter and Facebook every day of the week. In a similar vein, we can tell the world about your project but we can’t force people to click on your press release or your crowd funding project and then make them back your campaign. That’s a decision only then can make.

I questioned, if my article was sent to every journalist how comes I am only seeing roughly 3-4 on Google for the past 3 weeks and where was the promised email about updates once the articles were published to the journalists?

Another week approached and still no result. At this time all I could reflect on is that the $149 was pretty much going to go down the drain. I got really upset, plus I noted that the traffic was dominantly from another country (I will not say it is rather embarrassing) and not the dominantly from the US and western countries, which had me concerned. So I sent another email to my ‘consultant.’ Here was a part of the reply:

On to your next point I speak with every client who approaches us with questions and concerns – just as I did with you.

From my experience and observation there are a few people from time to time who are disgruntled mainly because they don’t fully understand the crowdfunding process and all of the different variables and factors that ensue. That’s why we devote so much time and provide an abundance of resources to crowdfunders to give them every advantage possible.

I wish every crowdfunding project we promote could succeed. But they can't. If you do a little research on crowdfunding success rates you will quickly learn that more campaigns fail than succeed on Kickstarter and Indiegogo. I strongly suspect this is true of every crowdfunding platform.

Then what stood out to me in the email was that the ‘consultant’ wrote that I did not follow his instructions on the fact that I should be sharing on Facebook and Twitter with my family members and friends. At this point, absolutely nothing made sense. Firstly, I did not receive any guidelines on sharing with family and friends. Secondly, isn’t that their job??? What was the purpose of me purchasing their services in the first place? If I am going to be doing the marketing and advertising, then I could have done that on my own without squandering $149 USD. See the email below:

Here’s a second copy of my instructions to you on boosting your GoGoFactor:

1. Update your Indiegogo campaign and leave comments daily. Add additional team members if possible [We all know that is the project manager’s job].
    2. Encourage people to share and refer people to your Indiegogo campaign. You can go so far as to offer free products in exchange for, say, 5 referrals that result in contributions. Maybe 10 in your case. Cost is a factor [Not making much sense here plus there was no email on this].
    3. Add more pictures and/or videos to your campaign on a weekly basis. (Do you see the pattern here – keep your campaign fresh and active with new things happening all the time).[Fine no prob but I still did not receive this email initially]
    4. Ask friends and family to back your campaign as much as they can. Every backer at any dollar amount helps [Again this is their job I shouldn’t be antagonizing my poor family and friends].
    5. Make sure your activity levels are at their peak during week one (That’s RIGHT NOW for you!) which is a critical factor in gaining more momentum in getting your project to succeed [No problem but still didn’t receive this in the email until weeks after- sloppy, very sloppy].

Funny enough, this email about sharing to friends was never ever sent either! Here was the original email he sent to me:

Thank you for becoming a consultant-level client with us. Here is your campaign consultation.

I noticed a number of errors in grammar which is understandable. To a certain degree, this is a good thing as it gives your campaign more sincere and authentic. However, too many mistakes like these are not good.

I have re-written parts of your campaign. All you need to do is copy-and-paste my text into your campaign.

(Corrections included)

All done with the campaign re-writes and edits.

Another recommendation I need to make is that you back 8 to 10 other projects on Indiegogo. You can even back them for $1. The number of projects you have backed is listed in right under your profile picture. Some people won’t back a project when they see the project manager has not backed any projects.
    To your success,

All those guidelines he provided I followed and yet I was rudely informed that I did not follow his instructions and my campaign could have been a success. Why is this company claiming to send certain emails that are nonexistent?

It begs the question, what really is the purpose of Crowdfund Buzz then? Isn’t it that they are to draw an audience on behalf of you? What were they really doing all along? The company needs to be clear from the beginning. Do you mean to tell me that the customer is able to do a much better job than the ‘professionals?’

So any way, I decided to really do my own campaigning as I believed this had gone way too far and immediately on Indiegogo I received 15 Facebook shares in less than one day and roughly 5 comments on FB expressing their interest in the campaign and wishing me the best. What was Crowdfundbuzz doing wrong then? What really is their purpose?

jvdos_com you made some essential points and I am 100% in agreement.
    Last edited by rappen; 03-18-2014 at 01:51 PM. Reason: error