Thread: XPrize to Soon Be Funded Via Kickstarter/Indiegogo

XPrize to Soon Be Funded Via Kickstarter/Indiegogo

Wow, this is major news that Peter Diamandis announced today on his very own Reddit AMA. Quite frankly it has surprised me a bit, but also seemingly went under the radar from the various tech blogs out there. According to Diamandis, the famed author of "Abundance," and well known futurist, the XPrize will soon turn to crowdfunding to help up the purse for each prize. this will be huge, helping to push innovation and discovery even further. Here is an excerpt from the reddit AMA:

Question from Redditor:
    Has XPRIZE considered teaming up with Kickstarter to micro-fund a prize?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but traditionally XPRIZEs have had one or a small number of large corporate/individual sponsors. Are you open to creating a derivative brand that leverages crowd-sourcing to build large prizes? (E.g. no more than $10,000 donations to that prize -- the Kickstarter limit)
    I have a strong hunch that we could build enough buzz to do it.
    I was thinking a $20,000,000 space elevator prize (40x the 2006 prize you created) but defer to you on what you think would be the right candidate.
    Peter Diamandis:
    Thanks Joshua. Two answers: (1) We are going to start inviting the public to co-fund the prize purse thru crowdfunding platforms like KS and IndieGogo... (2) we are also launching something soon called HeroX which will be a social site where the publish can design, fund and operate smaller prizes that are local and needed. I think this is a huge potential.

I can't say enough good things about Xprize. It's such an awesome idea. If they merge it with crowdfunding the prizes will really be amazing and hopefully progress technology at an even faster pace than it already is progressing.
    Join The CrowdFundingForum Linkedin Group, and Invite your friends.