$313,490 In Funding - Kickstarter - HAND Stylus - Steve Jobs Classmate

Total Funded: $313,490
    Project Url: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...tylus?ref=live

#1 Tell us a little bit about yourself and your project.

My Name is
    Steve King. I'm a fifth generation Californian. I was raised in Silicon Valley and went to high school with Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Before Kickstarter, I was a jewelry designer (www.bamboojewelry.com) and co-owner of a retail gift store called Whales & Friends in Alameda, CA. As long time user of Apple products, I've always had ideas for aftermarket items, but never had the resources to pursue them... Kickstarter changed everything!

#2 Why did you choose Kickstarter out of all the crowdfunding platforms that exist today? Do you think you could have succeeded in funding your project on another crowdfunding platform? If so, which?

I chose Kickstarter because I read several articles about successful projects on Kickstarter and my business partner agreed to the idea of trying a project. I thought there was room for improvement in styluses and designed the Hand Stylus (www.handstylus.com) as my idea of what a better stylus would offer. There were not that many other crowdfunding sites when I started my project, so I chose Kickstarter because it was the largest and best known. I don't know if my project could have succeeded on another crowdfunding site. I like to think so, but I think Kickstarter being the largest site offers the best chance for success.

#3 What do you feel contributed the most to the success of your project? Where did all these people who funded your project come from?

I think the success of the project was due mostly to the quality of the stylus design, the quality of the video, and the ability to get the word out via the tech media. If you have a great product and a great video then I think your odds of success are better than 50/50.

#4 What was something that you learned from having a successful Kickstarter project which you did not know prior to going live?

I learned that dreams can come true... that crowdsource funding works... and that it took longer, cost more, and took more effort than I could have imagined to finish the project.

#5 What mistakes do you think you may have made along the way on your crowdfunding journey?

I should have done more PR for the project early on... and I should have listed the www.handstylus.com website on my Kickstarter page before the project ended. Kickstarter doesn't allow you to make changes to your page once the project ends... and a lot of potential business can come in from people seeing the project after it ends on Kickstarter. It's great that Kickstarter keeps finished projects up on the site for people to discover and support even after the project has finished.

#6 If you could give advice to someone thinking about launching a crowdfunding campaign, what would it be?

If you're harboring a creative idea and you're hellbent to see it happen, then give it a shot on Kickstarter. You'll find out if others share your enthusiasm for your idea.

#7 Now that your project has been fully funded, what issue or unexpected occurrences have you run into, if any?

Now that the project has been funded, it's even more challenging trying to transition the Hand Stylus from a one-hit-wonder on Kickstarter into a successful fledgling business. As difficult as it is to be successful on Kickstarter, it's even more difficult to have success in the larger business arena.
    Join TheHidden Content , and Invite your friends.

Cool stuff!

Thanks for the interview. Insightful and helpful advice. Appreciate it. I myself have launched a Kickstarter for my company and, so far, it's been a humbling experience.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

Even the most simple ideas can become big hits. I'm happy for his success.

awesome

Thatīs awesome. Congratulations to him on his success and hoping that other Kickstarters also share the same success. Itīs a difficult and trying process but we believe itīs worth it which is why so many of us have started Kickstarted projects. Good luck to all!