Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The GLYPH FAQ

The GLYPH FAQ

Hey guys. Just wanted to drop the Glyph FAQ at the top of the forum to give you all insight into what we're working on. Feel free to drop questions below or shoot me an email at grantDOTmartinATavegant.com if you have specific concerns.

To get one big question out of the way, what we're trying to develop is not a virtual-reality-specific device. While the Glyph works great for that, we want it to be more of a premium media device that you can use for movies (yes, even in 3D), games, desktop computer environments or solely in audio mode. Normally this wouldn't be much to scoff at, but the micromirror technology that we're using is incredibly sharp and bright, and I think that combined with the unique form factor should really set us apart. I hope you guys will take a good look at the Kickstarter.

Grant

1. What is a Virtual Retinal Display?

A Virtual Retinal Display uses a micromirror array and a combination
    of optics to reflect an image directly onto your retina, effectively
    using the back of your eyeball as a screen. The resulting picture is
    extremely sharp and vivid, unlike anything a conventional display can
    produce. In particular, the 3D images are exceptionally clear.

2. Is it safe?

Yes. The light source is simply a low powered Light Emitting Diode
    (LED) – something like you would see at the end of a keychain light.
    The micromirror array and optics together create the unique image.

3. What sort of content works with the Glyph?

The Glyph is made to be media agnostic, meaning that it can plug into any HDMI source and
    display any current content natively. This means sources from an XBox
    to a Playstation to a MacBook to an iPhone to an Android may be used
    while content from Blueray DVDs to video games to streaming movies can
    be watched.

4. For how long can it be worn?

The reflected light produced from the Glyph is very
    comfortable and natural feeling. Many users who experience eye strain
    or nausea in looking at a conventional display feel no similar effect
    using this technology.

The beta headset will have enough battery life to power a full-length
    feature film, about two to three hours.

5. What sort of cables will I need?

The beta headset will have one MHL/HDMI cable that will plug into any HDMI source.

6. Will there be head tracking for gaming or immersive reality?

Yes. We have already tested the current prototypes with head tracking
    and assorted console games. They work great!

7. How can I get my hands on the Glyph?

We plan to launch a Kickstarter campaign on January 22nd and ship beta headsets out later in the year.

8. How much will it cost?

The lowest reward that includes a Glyph will be $499.

9. What is the field of view?

Looking into the device you’ll see an image that looks like an 80 inch
    screen 8 feet away from you. That translates to about a 45 degree
    field of view.

10. Can you make that field of view bigger?

Yes. We’re actively exploring markets and applications that require higher field-of-views.

11. Does this technology work with Virtual Reality?

Yes. The high resolution, lack of screen-door effect, and low latency of our technology makes is great for VR.

11. How does the Glyph work with glasses?

You’ll be able to just the diopters in the Glyph to accommodate a wide variety of prescriptions and pupillary distances. In short: you won’t need your glasses.

12. Isn’t a micromiror array the same thing as a DLP?

Yes. We’re working with TI utilizing brand new un-released, cutting-edge micromirror technology.
    Last edited by avegrant; 12-25-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Are you guys working with any developers at all yet on applications and games for the headset? Do you intend for this to be used primarily for games?

Quote Originally Posted by SocialCam View Post
    Are you guys working with any developers at all yet on applications and games for the headset? Do you intend for this to be used primarily for games?
    We'll have an SDK down the road, right now we're focusing on making a device that you can use with your current and legacy content. We don't want to force media developers to create content specifically for the device; we want them to create content building upon it.

Frankly, many games work fine with it out of the box, from Call of Duty to a variety of racing games. But to your point, we don't want it to be just a gaming headset -- we want it to be used for games, movies and whatever else you digitally consume, even if that's just an MP3. Think of it a mobile media platform that also happens to work really well for gaming.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I have been reading some of the articles from the various media outlets about you guys today. Seems like a interesting device for sure! Question.... Would you compare this more to the Oculus Rift or Google Glass?

Quote Originally Posted by SocialCam View Post
    Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I have been reading some of the articles from the various media outlets about you guys today. Seems like a interesting device for sure! Question.... Would you compare this more to the Oculus Rift or Google Glass?
    Kind of neither. It's an immersive experience like the Rift (though the FOV is lower) and a mobile experience like Glass (though more immersive). But while the Rift is primarily for gaming and Glass is for augmented reality, the Glyph is more of a premium media experience for all sorts of things and all sorts of content -- like a super high res private TV that you can take with you.

Have you guys done any sort of market research to determine demand, or will you just let the Kickstarter project determine that for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lelocks Trent View Post
    Have you guys done any sort of market research to determine demand, or will you just let the Kickstarter project determine that for you?
    We've got a modest amount of research under our belts, but we're also letting the Kickstarter correct for that a bit. We do know that the gaming market is HUGE, but we also know that they're extremely vociferous -- so balancing that is a bit tricky.

Hello,
    Introduction post aside, i just wanted to get this question in.

Very excited to get the Kick starter news before it went on
    But whats going to be the arrangement for overseas funding? Also will you be publishing times that it goes live?

Wouldn't want to find that all spaces are gone or transferred to second batch production after returning from work !

Many thanks

EDIT: Im posting from Mainland UK.

Size matters

How does the perceived size of the image compare to Sony's HMZ tech. The reason I ask is that at one point 700 inches was used to describe the Sony whereas 80 inches seems to be the number used to describe the glyph. I would like to invest in the prototype if the perceived image is roughly the same size or only slightly smaller than the sony. Thanks so much for the information and best of luck with this exciting launch.

OT, Sorry but I posted this q on facebook prior to finding this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimtee View Post
    Hello,
    Introduction post aside, i just wanted to get this question in.

Very excited to get the Kick starter news before it went on
    But whats going to be the arrangement for overseas funding? Also will you be publishing times that it goes live?

Wouldn't want to find that all spaces are gone or transferred to second batch production after returning from work !

Many thanks

EDIT: Im posting from Mainland UK.

We'll be taking overseas funding with a slight premium for shipping. Check the kickstarter page (kickstarter.avegant.com) at 10AM Eastern Time on January 22nd for the launch!