Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Full deliverable specs released

Many have been asking about the deliverable specs for the Glyph beta, so here's an updated list:

General

WeightWeight: 16oz
    Color: White, Black or Blue

Video

Display Technology: Micromirror Array
    Resolution: WXGA (1280 x 720) per eye
    Contrast Ratio: >1000:1
    Total pixels: 1,843,200
    Refresh Rate: up to 120 Hz
    Horizontal Field of View:45

Audio

Sound Output Mode: Premium Stereo
    Frequency Response: 20 - 20000 Hz
    Dynamic Range: 115 dB
    Microphone: Built-in
    Connectivity: wired over HDMI or TRRS audio cable

Miscellaneous

IPD Adjustment: Yes (50-75mm)
    Diopter Adjustment: +2 to -6
    Headtracking: 9 DOF IMU output via Bluetooth or hardwired
    Head strap: Optional head strap included

Connections

Video: Single HDMI connection
    Power: microUSB
    Audio: 3.5mm TRRS jack (stereo-plus-mic)

Power

Power/recharge via microUSB cable
    Onboard battery provides 3 hour runtime

Awesome, thanks!
    Join TheHidden Content , and Invite your friends.

I see there's a microphone. Will it work with Playstation 4 and Xbox One? That would be awesome but maybe too much to hope for.

one question about the the connections, in the renderings we see just one cable running into the unit, but it seems like if you want to use the Glyph for an extended period of time you need an hdmi cable for video (obviously) and another micro usb cable for power? or does the one cable do a Y split at the end? might it be better for the final version to use a mini displayport and be directly power by the bus, then include a separate hdmi + usb adapter? this way people who have mini displayports on their pc / laptop / tablet can have a really neat single cable setup, with a smaller plug to boot. and just to be picky, if the Glyph is also meant to be a pair of headphones, the cable should run into the left ear cup (not sure that's the right term), kind of an unspoken standard for headphones, or maybe the rendering is just flipped? anyways, really exited about this product, always wanted a pair of "headphone for eyes". good luck with the kickstarter campaign (which is about to begin in like 3 hours as of this writing)!

And also about the cable - it would be very good if it was exchangeable. These cables tend to break for me because they get twisted a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by andersos View Post
    And also about the cable - it would be very good if it was exchangeable. These cables tend to break for me because they get twisted a lot.

We'll do our best to accommodate that.

Quote Originally Posted by weipai View Post
    one question about the the connections, in the renderings we see just one cable running into the unit, but it seems like if you want to use the Glyph for an extended period of time you need an hdmi cable for video (obviously) and another micro usb cable for power? or does the one cable do a Y split at the end? might it be better for the final version to use a mini displayport and be directly power by the bus, then include a separate hdmi + usb adapter? this way people who have mini displayports on their pc / laptop / tablet can have a really neat single cable setup, with a smaller plug to boot. and just to be picky, if the Glyph is also meant to be a pair of headphones, the cable should run into the left ear cup (not sure that's the right term), kind of an unspoken standard for headphones, or maybe the rendering is just flipped? anyways, really exited about this product, always wanted a pair of "headphone for eyes". good luck with the kickstarter campaign (which is about to begin in like 3 hours as of this writing)!
    Hey weipai,

The Alpha has two cables for testing etc. The Beta will only have one cable. There will be a microusb port (so yes, arguably a cable if you're plugged in) for power.

Is it the left ear can because DJs need to use their right hands more often? That's interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by andersos View Post
    I see there's a microphone. Will it work with Playstation 4 and Xbox One? That would be awesome but maybe too much to hope for.
    Good question. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by avegrant View Post
    Is it the left ear can because DJs need to use their right hands more often? That's interesting.
    Hi,
    first of all thanks for the reply, and congrats on the already successful kickstarter! i believe the cable going into left cup is so that in the dark you can easily tell which way to put the headphone on, also "Line" and "Left" both start with L so it's easy to remember (but this could just be a happy accident).

Since we are on the topic of connection cables, with the current version you guys definitely made the right choice of making it as content agnostic as possible and as developer friendly as possible, and for the future versions of Glyph i have some suggestions if you don't mind hearing:

regarding detachable cable(s), i can think of a few pros and cons:
    pros:
    1. replace broken cable as mentioned
    2. people may need different cable lengths
    3. different colours and types (flat cable or round cable) for stylistic reasons
    4. easier storage with cable removed
    5. if the cable was caught by something it should break off instead of sending the Glyph flying off your head (depending on the connector, HDMI can be pretty tight sometimes)
    6. the unit can have a wireless mode for audio via bluetooth, and maybe in the future wireless video as well somehow

cons:
    1. having a big HDMI connector on the Glyph might not be ideal as the standard was never designed for head mounted display
    2. it will make the unit bigger and more ugly
    3. it can gather dust or moisture
    4. will never gain bus power
    5. using another standard such as MHL or mini displayport will compromise compatibility

potential solutions:
    1. keeping it fixed the way it is at the moment with HDMI, nice and simple
    2. design a custom connector on the Glyph end that provides all the functionalities needed for this new type of display, incorporating small footprint, video, power, safety break-off, dust proofing, developer friendliness etc. and provide an array of different cables that connect to mini displyport / MHL / iphone's lightning / HDMI + USB etc., with different colours and lengths. an USB cable (and maybe a charger) should be included at minimum for charging purposes, so people who use it with mobile devices will have a "charge-and-use" behaviour, where as people who use the Glyph with an computer or console that can provide power can have a "plug-and-play" behaviour.

obviously the second solution is not a small undertaking i understand, but it can also be an opportunity to make the product more compelling to a wider audience, and selling the cables as an accessory. personally i have an android phone, a macbook air and a PS3 console, so if i had a Glyph (which i would get in black) i would happily buy a 1 meter MHL cable (maybe in red) for the phone, a 1 meter mini display cable (hmm... white) for the mac, and a 3 meter HDMI cable (black) for the console. the extra cost to the consumer is not a big issue since i would have to spend the money on adaptors anyway and i much prefer the elegance of just having one simple cable. people also won't have to research what type of adapters they'll need (not geeks like us but most people are very confused about video connection standards), and can just go "ok i have an iphone", "ok this is the cable you need" and be set to go.

well this got longer than i expected, hope it provides some helpful feedback?

It's not in the (current) specs but weipai mentions Bluetooth audio. If Bluetooth is included at some point it would be nice if Glyph could be made to work wirelessly with PS4. Then it would be an all in one device for PS4. Display and audio headset (mic).
    Last edited by andersos; 01-23-2014 at 06:38 AM.